mtbr member
    Jan 2007

BB7's : anyone else have a hard time...

getting them to not rub?

i figured out how to post up a pic to illustrate my problem....

the rotor on the front tire keeps rubbing the front caliper mount everytime i take the tire off and put it back on...then last week i bought a car mount so i dont have to take the tire off and on and today i went to ride my bike and the front brake is rubbing again...is this normal?

I know the fork has some give on it and that doesnt help any with the rubbing ,, but i cant be the only one with this problem am I? its a new reba race fork if that make a difference.

also how tight should the front tire be? on a scale of 1-10 for quick release = like a 3 or 8?
    when you fold over the tightening lever?

edit

also the caliper is pushed all the way over on the nut that is rubbing...its like a need a shorter adapter...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out there
    Aug 2006
    slacken off the mounting bolts... set the pads as per the instructions...tighten them down on the rotors... tighten up the mounting bolts... slacken off the pads a few turns... now tighten them back up one at a time, one click at a time, until they rub... slacken off one click... no rubbing... you are done

DO make sure your wheel is solidly in the dropouts and the skewer is tight and the rotor is true.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Meh.
    The QR should be fairly tight. It should leave a nice indentation in your hand after you close it.

It looks like you may need your tabs faced, or file down the adapter a little bit. Bring it to your shop, they'll take care of it.

mtbr member
    If it was me I'd ditch the Avid mounts with the floating washers and go with a solid mount. It's so easy for the then to take a set with the caliper at an odd angle it's not funny. If you face the tabs like Will says you won't need to tweak the caliper anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

what are tabs faced?

i will take it to my local bike shop...but if you could reply so i know what im talking about before i got to the shop I wouldnt feel like an idiot...

ill search for it on mtbr too thanks...

I meant to do that
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolicious
    i will take it to my local bike shop...but if you could reply so i know what im talking about before i got to the shop I wouldnt feel like an idiot...

ill search for it on mtbr too thanks...
    A process of removing the paint and/or metal from the area surrounding the holes where the caliper is mounted. Just like facing the BB or head tube.

mtbr member

For qr tension

1 up usa makes some inexpensive and uber functional qr ends that allow you to have the same qr tension each and every time you install a wheel. I can't remember what they are called, just visit 1 up's website......I have these on both bikes with disc brakes.....highly reccomended.......
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

that is what im getting Akdave

they are only 4 bucks too...thanks i think that will help me the most....but im still gonna get me checked out

oh yea, they are called qucknut heres is the link

http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html

mtbr member

Where the Hub comes in contact with the fork.

Try taking off the wheel and putting it back on in a different position. The part of the Hub the comes in contact with the wheel may not be exactly straight. I'm talking about the part of the hub that does not spin relative to the fork. Once you find a good position get a marker or something and mark that spot. Sometimes the paint/metal on the fork adjusts to a certain position of that part and when you take the front wheel off and put it on in a different position it can get slightly unaligned.