Thread: BB7's on a 29er

A newbie with a clue...

BB7's on a 29er

I am a borderline clyde (6'5"/200 lbs) on a new GF Paragon (29er). I had the LBS swap the OEM 160mm Juicy 5's with 160mm BB7's based on the reviews of those two brake systems on this site. This is my first bike with discs. I have been riding the bike for a few weeks now and followed the recommended brake-in procedures.

I find that these brakes have pretty good stopping power. They are much better than the V-brakes on my old bike. However, while riding this weekend, I really clamped down on them to see what they would do. The rear brake seems perfect. I can clamp down on the bak wheel and hold it just shy of skidding with no problem. The front brake provided a pretty good clamp down as well, but was nowhere near locking. I tried tightening the calipers (inboard and outboard) by one click each. I got a little more power, but I also got a small amount of chatter (or shudder) in the brakes.

I am not looking to do a daily faceplant, but, based on what I have read here, it seems that I should at least have the potential to endo.

So here is my question: Is the combination of 29" wheels and a 200 lb rider too much for the 160mm rotors? Should I look at upgrading the front to 185's, or are my brakes just improperly adjusted?

Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated.

BayouBQ

mtbr member
    Go with 185s on the front. Due to the larger wheel size of a 29er, you need to have larger rotors to get the same braking force as a 26er. I did that on my 29er.

Don't worry about not being able to lock out the front. The fact that you can't is actually a good thing.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as MikeDee said.. you should move up to a 185 rotor up front at least.. at 220 lbs, I like using 203mm rotors up front, but I like to brake with one finger only
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-11-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Exclusively Single
    I've run Avid BB7 185 and 160 on two rigid 29ers and I'm a smidge over 200lbs. While the 185's were marginally more powerful, I found the 160's to be more than sufficient to lift the rear end with one finger so long as they were set up right. They may not be burned in just yet or they may have gotten contaminated from touching the rotors or something, in which case you can clean it up with alcohol.

A newbie with a clue...
    Quote Originally Posted by long hazy daze
    They may not be burned in just yet...
    I am a flatlander, so my brakes have not had much heavy use. Is it possible that they will gain stopping power with a little time?

BayouBQ