mtbr member
    Jul 2006

BB7's 160 vs 185 discs

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes over the off season. Currently I'm running a set of 160mm BB7's from an old bike that I've migrated over to my 29er, their from '07 and might have been '06 BB7's given what I paid for the bike -- regardless they have seen some use. I'm going to stick with BB7's but upgrade to either 2010 or 2011 models depending on pricing. I'd like to also pick up some SD7 levers.

Bluesky has a very good package deal but I was originally thinking of going to 185mm rotors and their package is for 160mm. My rationale for the 185 rotors are that I've migrated to a 29er from a full-sus 26 and the wheel is larger and more rotational mass takes more to stop as well as me weighing 240lbs. I currently have 160's and stop fine but I'm sure that the 185's would only increase my braking ability? Also is there any real difference between the 2010 and 2011 BB7?

Is the price difference worth it? I have to assume that just the upgrade to brakes that are brand new will really be the biggest difference and rotor size will be secondary but I want to ask.

Class Clown
    I don't think there is any diff. between '10 and '11, they both come with G2 rotors right? Might as well go with with bigger rotor at least for the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking back now I wish I went 185/185 instead of 160/185. Definately go the 185's, the performance on the G2 rotor is amazing. You'll regret it if you don't!

human dehumidifier
    FWIW don't be surprised if those bluesky parts are OEM and come in baggies and plastic wrap instead of Avid boxes. Not that there's anything wrong with that at the price.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized03 View Post
    Looking back now I wish I went 185/185 instead of 160/185. Definately go the 185's, the performance on the G2 rotor is amazing. You'll regret it if you don't!
    Riding today the 160's are almost comically small on a 29er, not that they don't work they just look funny. I was actually debating 185/160 or 185/185 and I think I'll just spend the little extra for 185's w/ the G2 rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    FWIW don't be surprised if those bluesky parts are OEM and come in baggies and plastic wrap instead of Avid boxes. Not that there's anything wrong with that at the price.
    Yeah that doesn't bother me but the lack of size choice sucks it's 160mm or nothing for the package deal which is crap cause it's a good deal.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RCook View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my brakes over the off season. Currently I'm running a set of 160mm BB7's from an old bike that I've migrated over to my 29er, their from '07 and might have been '06 BB7's given what I paid for the bike -- regardless they have seen some use. I'm going to stick with BB7's but upgrade to either 2010 or 2011 models depending on pricing. I'd like to also pick up some SD7 levers.

Bluesky has a very good package deal but I was originally thinking of going to 185mm rotors and their package is for 160mm. My rationale for the 185 rotors are that I've migrated to a 29er from a full-sus 26 and the wheel is larger and more rotational mass takes more to stop as well as me weighing 240lbs. I currently have 160's and stop fine but I'm sure that the 185's would only increase my braking ability? Also is there any real difference between the 2010 and 2011 BB7?

Is the price difference worth it? I have to assume that just the upgrade to brakes that are brand new will really be the biggest difference and rotor size will be secondary but I want to ask.
    I would just buy the new rotors, mounting brackets, and new pads (EBC Gold), cables and housing.
    185/160 may be enough, though there is nothing wrong with 185/185 or even 203/185.

There has been no functional change in the calipers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It would look wierd yes, the 160's look small on my 26". I personally love the look of big rotors on a bike, and especially with the 29er the 185's would, arguably, look better. Not to mention with two 185's on it, if that doesn't stop you than your in for some big injuries

Also, SD7 Levers are the way to go, but what cable/housing set up will you be/are you running?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the 185/185 combo on my bike. Got the 2010's for cheap online however, I had to make sure that they were the G2 rotors as several places had different ones packaged with the BB7s.

Im about 230# fully geared up and the 160s were just not working for me. They generated too much heat and the brake fade was down right scary.

Now, I dont even have to worry about stopping power. They just grip time after time. The SD7s really help a ton in getting the perfect amount of feel in the lever as well. Im using my stock wires but will upgrade them in the spring probably.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I would just buy the new rotors, mounting brackets, and new pads (EBC Gold), cables and housing.
    185/160 may be enough, though there is nothing wrong with 185/185 or even 203/185.

There has been no functional change in the calipers.
    2010/2011 BB7 calipers compared to 2006/7 calipers may function the same but I can say that pad adjustment is much easier also the cutout in the caliper 'behind' the pads should allow for easier cleaning and less debris accumulation. Having said that your right I could just upgrade everything but the calipers but the cost savings isn't that great and by upgrading everything I'll end up with a spare brake set.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialized03 View Post
    It would look wierd yes, the 160's look small on my 26". I personally love the look of big rotors on a bike, and especially with the 29er the 185's would, arguably, look better. Not to mention with two 185's on it, if that doesn't stop you than your in for some big injuries

Also, SD7 Levers are the way to go, but what cable/housing set up will you be/are you running?
    Not sure, I'll likely buy from PricePoint, can you suggest something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I have the 185/185 combo on my bike. Got the 2010's for cheap online however, I had to make sure that they were the G2 rotors as several places had different ones packaged with the BB7s.

Im about 230# fully geared up and the 160s were just not working for me. They generated too much heat and the brake fade was down right scary.

Now, I dont even have to worry about stopping power. They just grip time after time. The SD7s really help a ton in getting the perfect amount of feel in the lever as well. Im using my stock wires but will upgrade them in the spring probably.
    Where did you get yours from?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    JensonUSA. Pricepoint had/has them but they were a different rotor. Even called to confirm it with them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    2010/2011 BB7 calipers compared to 2006/7 calipers may function the same but I can say that pad adjustment is much easier also the cutout in the caliper 'behind' the pads should allow for easier cleaning and less debris accumulation. Having said that your right I could just upgrade everything but the calipers but the cost savings isn't that great and by upgrading everything I'll end up with a spare brake set.

I have all three versions of the calipers. No difference in debris clearing. Little change in the pad adjustment.

I use the bulk Alligator housing and teflon coated cables, both from Pricepoint.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Avid(Pit Stop) Full Metal Jacket Cables at JensonUSA.com

Someone who was advising me about my brakes uses these, and said they were good. I use FlakJackets which apart from being a ***** to install work great.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    JensonUSA. Pricepoint had/has them but they were a different rotor. Even called to confirm it with them.
    Same here but I emailed instead of calling. Bought from Jenson because the PP brakes come with roundagon rotors, Jenson is G2. At least that was true 2 to 3 weeks ago.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.