mtbr member
    Jul 2012

BB7 w/180mm Rotor

I have not yet received them so I am asking a preemptive question. I just purchased a new set of BB7s from Ebay that come as a set with 160MM rotors. I also then purchased one 180MM separately, all three rotors are HS1s.

Will I need a different adapter to run the 180MM rotor on the front or will the adapter that comes with them for the 160MM still work? If I need an additional adapter, where would I source one from?

Sorry I know this a total newbie question but everything I own is pretty much vintage at this point so this is the first set of discs for me.

Thanks in advance.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Will I need a different adapter to run the 180MM rotor on the front or will the adapter that comes with them for the 160MM still work? If I need an additional adapter, where would I source one from?
    Yes you will need an adapter for the 180mm rotor but whether you need to buy a new one will depend on what adapters you are getting and what fork mount you have.

Adapters come in a couple of types, Post Mount to Post Mount (PM to PM) and Post Mount to International Standard (PM to IS), get the right adapter to suit the brake mounts which are on your fork.

Avid makes 180mm and 185mm adapters, make sure that you get the 180mm adapter.

* The Avid Rear 160mm IS to PM adapters are the same as the Avid Front 180mm IS to PM adapters.
    * The Avid Rear 160mm PM to PM adapters are the same as the Avid Front 180mm PM to PM adapters.

Adapters can be bought from your LBS, ebay and online bike shops.

Last edited by cobba; 10-10-2012 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    I don't know how your new BB7's will be packaged, but when I bought a set of them for my SS, I got a 160 and a 180, but both came with a set of adaptors. I would wait for your brakes to come in and see if there are multiple mount adaptors in the box, and if you have the right one already, because you might.