Thread: BB7 vs HFX9

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

BB7 vs HFX9

I'm building up a new hardtail from an old bike with a new frame. I was wondering how much of a weight difference there is between ~2002 bb7's with Speed dial 7's vs 2004 HFX9's with carbon levers. I would have to take the HFX's off my VT and install the BB7's on it. I know it is a performance upgrade but, I was wondering is the weight was that significant to go through with the hassle. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They weigh about the same. Calipers are heavier on the BB7, levers/resevoir heavier on the HFX9. I can't see the carbon lever saving more than a few grams at best.

If you want to save weight it's Shimanos or Hope (or something similar). And even then we're talking about 100 grams per side for the spendy blingbling that's way more expensive.

Braking performance is about the same for HFX9 and BB7. The HFX will be more of a pain to setup properly, but once dialed will need less messing around than BB7 and remain smooth without cable change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The HFX - compared with same rotor size and comparable pads (sintered or organic ones) - doesn't have chance towards power against a top BB7 setup (Full Metal Jacket, favorable cable run). I have compared my BB7 with many XC brakes - better ones than the HFX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks, I think I will stay with the BB7's. I'm running Jagwire cables and using Alligator Organic Disc Brake Pads. If you have not used these pads yet they are worth the $7.00 at Pricepoint. (no joke intended). They have great stoppng power and seem to last about the same as regular pads.

mtbr member
    I should have my new BB7s installed and I'm going for the first ride Wed. And I have HFX9 with V8 rotors on my dh rig. I don't like the hayes at all decent modulation but not much power when haulin a$$ down a hill.
    Mary ss shenanigans