Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

BB7 v 08XT v Juicy5

so I have been using this cheap tektro disc brake and the caliper got jam and locked the wheel even I released the lever, which I then fell over the bar in the middle of the road, luckily there was no cars coming.
    Now I need to get some new brakes, I have only tried mechanical in the past, and I heard BB7 is good for its class, but I am worried that the same thing will happen (brake jam)

so between the 3, I heard some of the juicies are quite hard to set up and the brake nose is difficult so solve. So i wonder what u guys would choose between the 3. thanks

mtbr member
    08 XT's will be the best. But all brake well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    toss a formula K18 or K24 in there too.. similar in price, and a very well respected brake.

Gotta throw my BB7 love in here. Your current levers will likely work fine with the BB7s, with hydraulics you're changing them out. Hydraulics aren't as easy to service or adjust. You might get better power/modulation if you're lucky. Most guys who say their hydraulics don't get as much power just have ***** hands . Seriously, if you're doing a lot of downhill and adjusting pads manually bother you then maybe the BB7s aren't for you, but they are far more adjustable and more easily than any hydraulic out there for almost any other use (despite what mototom might say, he just apparently never was able to do it).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you dont have to adjust hydraulics. you do the same initial setup you do with bb7's (or less), and thats it. you'd have to have broken brakes to get worse modulation than bb7's, and any of the brakes listed will have more power.

i dont understand how the adjustment argument ever comes up.. you really dont adjust hydros. the ones that are adjustable just adjust for reach and power, and all those do it easier than bb7's.

Love to disagree with you tom, after reading all your posts you just seem to think that not needing to adjust your pads briefly compares to rebleeding and I think most will find simple adjustments far easier than bleeding procedures. Just vacuum bleed your brakes as you think is easier, but I'll take cable any day. My brakes stay adjusted just fine, am not worried about a few seconds here and there to adjust pad distance and symmetry between front/rear brakes, something that is much harder to achieve with hydraulics....do you want to spend a second or two dialing in the adjusters on a BB7 or bleeding brake lines? There's no comparison for the benefits unless you're a dedicated downhiller...and even then it's about time and effort.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you dont have to bleed brakes often. my bike is 2 years old, and it just now needs its first bleed. thats not too shabby at all. you're right, it really doesnt compare at all. bleeding is much less frequent, for some of us, by years instead of every single ride.

im not saying bb7's are hard to maintain. they're not. hydros are also not. theres some really marginal difference in maintenance between them that makes it really a non issue. big deal you have to turn a dial for 3 seconds before a ride, and big deal that every few months to a year you'll have to spend 5 or 10 minutes bleeding your brake. almost all hydros are up to par on reliability now, it shouldnt be factored into a decision. look at power, modulation, feel.. maybe weight if you want to be a weeny. hydros just take the cake for all those.
    Last edited by tomsmoto; 10-25-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Maybe if your hands are weak...***** just keeps getting deleted. You saying that it's normal for both brakes to be symmetrical in pull without ****ing around with them? I doubt that seriously... For most riders hydraulics are overkill just look at all the braking bumps all over the trails...mostly made by idiots who think they need more from their brakes.
    suum quique

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    back to the topic.... of those listed I prefer the XTs, but I think all are fine brakes (have used all of them)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    back to the topic.... of those listed I prefer the XTs, but I think all are fine brakes (have used all of them)
    I agree with Cris... I'm on my 3rd set of XT hydros and have not had one single problem with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The mineral oil fluid of Shimanos makes maintenance a snap. Nowhere near as dangerous to paint or difficult to clean as DOT. And it doesn't absorb moisture so you can go longer on a bleed.

Now that hydros are as cheap as BB7s I really don't see the need for mechanical discs anymore. More of a tradition thing. I replaced the BB7s on my GF's bike with Hayes and they are much easier to modulate.

Some will argue that hydros are more maintenance. That's only true every couple of years when you need to bleed. Meanwhile you will have adjusted/fiddled with your BB7s ten million times, over two years it adds up to at least several days worth of fiddling!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    go xt's. Juicy brakes are annoyingly loud and not all that strong. I'm replacing the juicy 7's on my bike w/ xt's soon as I find time to do the set-up. As far as the bb7's go, they may be a bit easier to maintain, but honestly they don't compare even to my cheap Shimano m525 Deore hydro brakes. I actually have one of each on my HT.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    IME XT's are also insanely loud with the M06 (metallic) pads. The M07 (organic) pads are dead silent though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why do Shimano parts cost so damn much? I'd like XT's, but they are so much more than BB7's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you can get a full set of xt brakes for 250. once you factor in cables, housings, and levers, bb7's arent really that cheap.

Meh.
    If your calipers jammed close, they probably aren't set up correctly. Any brake will fail when not set up or maintained.

The BB7 will jam if the housing pops out of the stops or if there's a ton of grit in the housing.

Hydraulics can lock closed if the system isn't bled properly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    you can get a full set of xt brakes for 250.
    Yup. No rotors, but otherwise complete:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-08-Shimano-D...1%7C240%3A1318

I've bought from this seller before and he's legit. Btw, I bought Shimano SLX brakes from him, which are pretty darn comparable to XT's, and about $40 cheaper.

Edit: Also check out Chain Reaction Cycles prices on XT/SLX. Make sure you put USA and USD (if appropriate) as your country and currency. With the current exchange rate there are some killer deals overseas.

gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If your calipers jammed close, they probably aren't set up correctly. Any brake will fail when not set up or maintained.

The BB7 will jam if the housing pops out of the stops or if there's a ton of grit in the housing.

Hydraulics can lock closed if the system isn't bled properly.
    i am quite sure its not due to the cable problem. me and the other guy realised that it was the caliper, so we opened it up, and found that the grease inside the caliper may have changed and so it didnt release the caliper properly, once some of the grease was removed, the brake became fine again (I took it to the uk, and the cold temp inside the storage of the plane may have changed the property of the grease, i just guessing). However, i just wanna get a new pair just in case.

mtbr member
    i would put my BB7's up against any brake system. adjustability, modulation, power, it's all there and then some. when properly setup in my opinion they work just as well and are much less failure prone and way more trail repair friendly then hydro brakes. hydro is just way overkill for anything but maybe DH or something requiring ultra beef brakes. good luck with your housing and fluid and whatever the hell else you need to get your trail repairs done.

if you're smart and use a high quality housing and lube your cables properly, and get a decent set of levers, BB7's just can't be beat. connect the system with cheap ass housing and cables, and expect it to suck.

gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    just another question: what are the differences between bb5 and bb7? as i found a second hand deal avid speed digit ti + bb5 for about $100

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by gio
    just another question: what are the differences between bb5 and bb7? as i found a second hand deal avid speed digit ti + bb5 for about $100
    BB7's pads can be dialed in/out on both sides...the 5's only adjust from one side.

I have owned XT's, BB7's and Juicy 7's. If I had to buy new, I would say the BB7's win hands down peformance-versus-cost. If you are judging performance only, then the Juicy's would get the nod...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    Yup. No rotors, but otherwise complete:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-08-Shimano-D...1%7C240%3A1318

I've bought from this seller before and he's legit. Btw, I bought Shimano SLX brakes from him, which are pretty darn comparable to XT's, and about $40 cheaper.

Edit: Also check out Chain Reaction Cycles prices on XT/SLX. Make sure you put USA and USD (if appropriate) as your country and currency. With the current exchange rate there are some killer deals overseas.
    the brakes are "pre-bred", what's not to love?

Never trust a fart
    I'm with salimoneus. I'd put my 185mm BB7's up against any hydro any day.

With an excellent setup like mine, if I do say so myself, they perform flawlessly.

My current setup with I recommend to new bikers at my shop is as follows.

BB7's, Jagwire Ripcord cables/housings (or Gore Ride-On's), Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    and proper brake in method.

BTW, my entire brake setup ran a grand total of $165 front and rear with 185 rotors.

My biggest concern with hydros is what happens if you crash and damage a hose. Now you have no brake due to fluid loss. Cables are less likely to snap in a "regular" crash. And I like the adjustability of the pads. Turn the knobs and done. I don't want to spend 10-15 mins or more trying to adust pads on hydros.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I'm with salimoneus. I'd put my 185mm BB7's up against any hydro any day.

My biggest concern with hydros is what happens if you crash and damage a hose. Now you have no brake due to fluid loss. Cables are less likely to snap in a "regular" crash. And I like the adjustability of the pads. Turn the knobs and done. I don't want to spend 10-15 mins or more trying to adust pads on hydros.

Lots of misinformation here...

Compare a 185mm mech disc with the same size in hydraulic. Any decent hydraulic will beat it not only in power but weight. The BB7s I replaced were a full 150gr more.

The crash damaged hydro line is a red herring. I have never seen this happen in the real world, only in the theoretical.

I have seen countless cables snap, some for no reason at all. Make sure you carry replacement cables! And also make sure you have extra red adjuster knobs, I've seen those fall off too and how do you adjust your brakes during a ride then?

There is no 10-15mins spent adjusting hydro pads. They adjust themselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    Compare a 185mm mech disc with the same size in hydraulic. Any decent hydraulic will beat it...
    We discussed this in many threads before, the last one: BB7's. Are they as good as some Hydro Brakes?
    A majority of people that have experienced both - mechanicals and hydros - say that the hydros are somewhat stronger and better towards modulation. But a remarkable minority (myself included) says: BB7 stronger at least in the front with same rotor size and equal modulation.
    But this can only be achieved with:
    - (very) good housing: compressionless, uninterrupted/sealed for long duration
    -smooth cable run without many or unfavorable bendings
    -pads very close to the rotor
    -Avid speed dial adjusted towards power (counterclockwise)

It seems that most BB7 users don't have such an optimum setup and so loose more or less of the maximum possible performance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast