Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631

    Smile BB7 + Trek 4300 disc 2007

    Hi!

    My wife has a Trek 4300 disc 2007 with Shimano m465. She is using the Avid levers. The problems is the brakes are not the best. I would like to install the Avid BB7. I looked at the wheelset and it seems the rotors are sort of permanently bolted. I checked my Trek 6000 and I can easily unscrew the rotors since I am using BB5.

    Does it mean I would have to get a new wheelset so I can install BB7 on a Trek 4300?

    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...chive/4300disc


    Thank you!

    EDIT: I read this post and I am still confused. How do I take the old Shimano rotors off?

    BB7 upgrade on stock Trek 4300
    Last edited by PatrickK; 04-10-2010 at 12:49 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,674

    Okay...

    the Shimano M65 hub uses the Shimano "centerlock" rotor system. The rotors are heald on by a lock ring instead of the "traditional" 6 bolts that the hubs on your 6000 use. So you need a bit different tool to remove the old rotors. You'll need a Park FR-5 Cassette Lock Ring tool http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=4&item=FR%2D5 or identical tool to remove the lock ring and rotors.

    Once that's done you'll have two options for rotors. You'll either need to purchase a set of Avid centerlock rotors to accomodate the hubs. The only Avid rotors currently available in centerlock are the G3 Cleansweeps at about $50 each. Or you could get a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use the rotors that come with the brakes. The centerlock to 6 bolt adapter is the more economical way to go. There are several designs out there from Shimano, Formula, Problem Solvers, etc. Most online retailers carry them. You could also use the Shimano rotors that are currently on the bike. However they are designed for use with resin (or organic) brake pads only! The BB7s come stock with metalic pads that would wear out the stock Shimano rotors in short order.

    Your least expensive option would be to go with the BB7s with the included rotors and a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter. But first you will have to get the correct tool to remove the old rotors.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,372
    Keep the Shimano rotor if you're not moving up in size.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    the Shimano M65 hub uses the Shimano "centerlock" rotor system. The rotors are heald on by a lock ring instead of the "traditional" 6 bolts that the hubs on your 6000 use. So you need a bit different tool to remove the old rotors. You'll need a Park FR-5 Cassette Lock Ring tool http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=4&item=FR%2D5 or identical tool to remove the lock ring and rotors.

    Once that's done you'll have two options for rotors. You'll either need to purchase a set of Avid centerlock rotors to accomodate the hubs. The only Avid rotors currently available in centerlock are the G3 Cleansweeps at about $50 each. Or you could get a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use the rotors that come with the brakes. The centerlock to 6 bolt adapter is the more economical way to go. There are several designs out there from Shimano, Formula, Problem Solvers, etc. Most online retailers carry them. You could also use the Shimano rotors that are currently on the bike. However they are designed for use with resin (or organic) brake pads only! The BB7s come stock with metalic pads that would wear out the stock Shimano rotors in short order.

    Your least expensive option would be to go with the BB7s with the included rotors and a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter. But first you will have to get the correct tool to remove the old rotors.

    Good Dirt

    Wow, awesome explanation! Thank you again!

    To sum it up, I need the following.

    1. One of these ( I assume the first link).
    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...%20Lock%20Ring

    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...%20Lock%20Ring

    2. Avid BB7 Mountain Disc Brake Caliper (they come with 160mm rotors)

    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...tle=avid%20bb7

    3. Cable Housing ( anything cheaper?)

    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...234&Prod=18141

    I went to the bike store and asked about the price and they said $30 per wheel. Well, I can do it myself as soon as I have some time off.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    Keep the Shimano rotor if you're not moving up in size.

    The original rotors seem to be 160mm. Should I really keep them?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,372
    Like I said, if you're staying at 160, keep the shimanos. If you're moving up in size, then by all means get something else.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eric Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,498
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    The original rotors seem to be 160mm. Should I really keep them?
    why not keep them? i'm sure 160mm does the job with stopping her, right? heck, i'm 240 and 160mm stops me just fine.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,674

    The reason not to keep them...

    is, Shimano low end rotors are designed for ORGANIC PADS ONLY! If this is the case, which I'm certain it is, it will be printed right on the rotor. The rotors are not hardened sufficiently to stand up to the abrasion or the heat generated by metalic pads. The BB7 brakes come with Metalic pads. The metalic pads will chew up the Shimano rotors in short order. It most likely won't be immediate, but they'll be toast by the end of a solid season of riding and the brake won't perform as well either. There is a reason I advised the OP to either purchase a set of Avid Centerlock rotors or a Centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use the Avid rotors.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    is, Shimano low end rotors are designed for ORGANIC PADS ONLY! If this is the case, which I'm certain it is, it will be printed right on the rotor. The rotors are not hardened sufficiently to stand up to the abrasion or the heat generated by metalic pads. The BB7 brakes come with Metalic pads. The metalic pads will chew up the Shimano rotors in short order. It most likely won't be immediate, but they'll be toast by the end of a solid season of riding and the brake won't perform as well either. There is a reason I advised the OP to either purchase a set of Avid Centerlock rotors or a Centerlock to 6 bolt adapter and use the Avid rotors.

    Good Dirt

    Yes, they are very low end. This is the adapter I need?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Disc-Brake-Adapt...item4839c3a6de

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •