Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747

  2. #2
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,975
    The 2011 photo has a 'Roundagon' rotor, this isn't the usual rotor that comes with BB7's but it is sometimes sold with them.
    * The "-Select SKU-" in the "CHOOSE OPTION" only lists the G2 rotor, you won't get the rotor that's in the photo, you'll get the same rotor that's in the 2012 photo.

    The 2012 photo has a 'G2 Cleansweep' rotor, this is the rotor that's most commonly sold with BB7's.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    The 2011 photo has a 'Roundagon' rotor, this isn't the usual rotor that comes with BB7's but it is sometimes sold with them.
    * The "-Select SKU-" in the "CHOOSE OPTION" only lists the G2 rotor, you won't get the rotor that's in the photo, you'll get the same rotor that's in the 2012 photo.

    The 2012 photo has a 'G2 Cleansweep' rotor, this is the rotor that's most commonly sold with BB7's.
    Thanks for clearing that up

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,721
    If I'm not mistaken, Avid is selling the HS1 rotor with the BB7's for 2013 which is a much smoother and quieter rotor.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Avid is selling the HS1 rotor with the BB7's for 2013 which is a much smoother and quieter rotor.
    I won't be able to collect the 2013's for $50 tho

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,026
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    I won't be able to collect the 2013's for $50 tho
    No worries. I have never had issues with the G2 rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747
    Anyone know where I can get them for $50 and not incur international shipping fees (I can get them at CRC with free shipping but they are $63) I have other stuff to order to so I can likely meet a spend $xxx for free shipping.

  8. #8
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,975
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Avid-BB7-Disc-Brake-Calipers-G2-rotors-Front-Rear-/220776074605?

    Haven't seen any new ones that are any cheaper.

    Looks like CRC is shafting the kiwi's, you have to spend $199 to get free shipping, customers from USA & Australia only have to spend $99 to get free shipping.





    .
    Last edited by cobba; 10-14-2012 at 09:47 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747
    Thats pretty sweet price, I heard there were quite a few problems with buying bb7's off ebay stuff was replaced etc.

    I'm also a little confused at what changed between 2011 and 2012 claimed weight seems to be 380gm and 329gm.

  10. #10
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,975
    Where did you see 380gm ?

    What sort of problems have you heard about buying BB7's on ebay ?

  11. #11
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Never actually bought the BB7s but on ebay, I've heard of counterfeit rotors and pads, both of which shouldn't matter too much as those are replaceable over long term. I have never heard of a counterfeit caliper/adapter, but on eBay, ya never know...
    As for weight, the roundagon had much fewer cutouts than the G2. Dunno if that would make such a big difference though.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  12. #12
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,975
    I see where the 380gm reference is.

    Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brake 2011 > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    That is either:

    1) a mistake
    2) the total weight of the items with packaging
    3) an attempt to deceive you and make you buy the "newer light weight model" which costs more.

  13. #13
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Maybe that's including the f+r adapters. For sure, the 329g is just the 160 rotor, caliper and NO ADAPTER.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 10-14-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  14. #14
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Never actually bought the BB7s but on ebay, I've heard of counterfeit rotors and pads, both of which shouldn't matter too much as those are replaceable over long term. I have never heard of a counterfeit caliper/adapter, but on eBay, ya never know...
    As for weight, the roundagon had much fewer cutouts than the G2. Dunno if that would make such a big difference though.
    I got a set of 2 BB7 and 160mm HS1 rotors from eBay from Fibica for $75 with shipping. Rotors are fake and pads might be aftermarket. I step it up and ask the seller to provide me genuine rotors or to refund me, so he offered to send me "genuine" rotors at no cost or refund me $20 for the fake ones. So even if he doesn't send genuine ones, I'm still ahead in the game for having 4 HS1 rotors (that I can always sell back at discounted priced lol) and a set of BB7 for the price of just a set of BB7 and adaptors. But yes, lots of counterfeit items from china on eBay. You have to be on your game when you try to lowball the local market. Though I put one of the caliper with the provided pads on the back of my FR bike with the 203mm Hayes rotor I already had on and let me tell you the pads were grabby already.

    Regarding rotors, G2 have not a big enough braking surface for the BB7 pad size, so I'd go with something like the HS1 or other bigger surface rotor, like my Hayes for nice quiet performance.

    I tested the 2011 G2 and my Hayes, both 203mm and the G2 is way more noisy and prone to warp.

    BB7 stock rotor difference? 2011-12-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350280761.787465.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  15. #15
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Regarding rotors, G2 have not a big enough braking surface for the BB7 pad size, so I'd go with something like the HS1 or other bigger surface rotor, like my Hayes for nice quiet performance.

    I tested the 2011 G2 and my Hayes, both 203mm and the G2 is way more noisy and prone to warp.
    Wait... what? The G2 has the BIGGEST TRACK OF ALL! The HS1s are meant for the longer, thinner pads of the Elixirs and codes, and g2 is meant for the stouter, shorter pads of the BB7/Juicy. I have heard several times that, with HS1 and G3, both of which are designed for hydros, the pads rub the rotor arms. Am I wrong?BB7 Mountain Check the specs for BB7 and it will say: G2 clean sweep...
    You may be right about the warping issues though.
    BTW: Other than Fibica actually accepting the fact that the rotors are fake, how else did you know if the HS1s were counterfeit? Did it affect performance? After all, it is just a stamped and cut piece of stainless steel...
    Last edited by sauprankul; 10-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  16. #16
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Wait... what? The G2 has the BIGGEST TRACK OF ALL! The HS1s are meant for the longer, thinner pads of the Elixirs and codes, and g2 is meant for the stouter, shorter pads of the BB7/Juicy. I have heard several times that, with HS1 and G3, both of which are designed for hydros, the pads rub the rotor arms. Am I wrong?BB7 Mountain Check the specs for BB7 and it will say: G2 clean sweep...
    You may be right about the warping issues though.
    Well maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but for what I know, my G2 wasn't wide enough anyway. I had to decide between pads hitting the arms or being slightly over the rotor...

    BB7 stock rotor difference? 2011-12-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350281696.396285.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  17. #17
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    I was gonna tell you to talk to avid, but it seems like you are fine with the Hayes. Maybe your G2s are messed up? Where did you get 'em? Can you measure the max and min widths of HS1, G2 and Hayes(and name which one it is)? Might help someone.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  18. #18
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    I was gonna tell you to talk to avid, but it seems like you are fine with the Hayes. Maybe your G2s are messed up? Where did you get 'em? Can you measure the max and min widths of HS1, G2 and Hayes(and name which one it is)? Might help someone.
    Well the G2 came with the BB7 caliper I bought from Jenson last year. Both were genuine in retail package, 2011 products. My Hayes (old style V8 model) came stock on my bike with Hayes MX2 mech calipers. I replaced the Hayes mechs with the BB7s and kept the Hayes rotors. I'll be glad to measure the width of the braking surface on the 203mm G2 and V8 and on the 160mm HS1 I have. I also have some 140mm Magura Storm SL rotors that are going on my XC bike, 160 HS1 front and 140 Storm in the back with BB7.

    But I really like the wide brake track of the Hayes. They are very silent and true. Haven't tried the HS1 and Storm yet since my XC carbon wheelset won't be in till next spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    747
    Might just get the 2011 ones from jenson I have to eat a little shipping but at least I know i'm gonna get a genuine product etc. Just asked over in WTBDeals about BB7's incase I've missed some eshop deal.

  20. #20
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    I was gonna tell you to talk to avid, but it seems like you are fine with the Hayes. Maybe your G2s are messed up? Where did you get 'em? Can you measure the max and min widths of HS1, G2 and Hayes(and name which one it is)? Might help someone.
    Well the G2 came with the BB7 caliper I bought from Jenson last year. Both were genuine in retail package, 2011 products. My Hayes (old style V8 model) came stock on my bike with Hayes MX2 mech calipers. I replaced the Hayes mechs with the BB7s and kept the Hayes rotors. I'll be glad to measure the width of the braking surface on the 203mm G2 and V8 and on the 160mm HS1 I have. I also have some 140mm Magura Storm SL rotors that are going on my XC bike, 160 HS1 front and 140 Storm in the back with BB7.

    But I really like the wide brake track of the Hayes. They are very silent and true. Haven't tried the HS1 and Storm yet since my XC carbon wheelset won't be in till next spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  21. #21
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,975
    Avid has changed the specs of the G2 for some reason.


    BB7 pad width is about 15.05mm

    Old G2 braking track width is about 16.5mm
    New G2 braking track width is about 13.94mm

    G3 braking track width is about 14.00mm

    Roundagon braking track width is about 15.60mm

    The new HS rotors have a similar braking track width to the G3 and the new G2.

    Unless you have the old Avid G2 or Roundagon rotors the BB7 pads will overhang the inner edge of the braking track on all of their current rotors and rub on the arms of the rotor, to me this doesn't make any sense.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/rotor-break-other-qs-781736.html

  22. #22
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,128
    Well at some point with bigger rotors the issue from the pads hitting the rotor arms is worst because of the greater distance between the braking surface and the hub... I guess I'll see for myself withe the HS1 then
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •