Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

bb7 sticking

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jcoffman98 
#1 ·
I been having an issue with my rear bb7 sticking. At first I noticed the brakes would occasionally stick on, it got worse until they stayed stuck long enough for me to get off my bike and see what was going on. The actual cable anchor bracket was catching on one of the bolts holding the caliper assembly together. I checked the bolt is properly seated and the L bracket is not bent or deformed. It just appears the brake arm doesn't spring outward fast enough on return to clear this bolt head and the arm gets stuck.

I'd figure I just got a bad set of brakes but I have the same problem on both my bikes both with 2008 bb7. The brakes worked great otherwise and didnt have this issue for the first several weeks of riding. Front brakes work great.

Any ideas? I could file a little bit off the edge of the L bracket but i hate todo that.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, didn't see anything in the forums on it.

Thanks

#4 ·
I will post some pictures later.

I tend to agree it looks like a design flaw there is almost 0 clearance between that bracket that anchors the cable and the caliper assembly bolt. I looked at some older bb7's on a friends bike and there is much more clearance between the two.

I have installed these on two bikes with standard disk mounts so there is nothing unusall about my setup.

Let me know what you find out from avid.

#7 ·
ive had no problems here. worked good. maybe you got some with a defect on them or somehtings wrong cuz me and my friend have them and nothings happend lke that

#9 ·
That makes sense. It (bracket) rubs regardless past a certain point and I can't see them having made a design mistake like that. The rear brackets do poke out a little bit, but after I trued rotor and readjusted it appears to have gone away.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.