mtbr member

BB7 squeal on first ride....just new brake noise?

I installed new BB7 brakes on my jabber build. Saturday I took her around the block for the test ride.
    The only issue I have is that the brakes squealed quite a bit. I'm assuming this is just new brake noise and once everything gets settled that should be gone?

I'm going to try to get a longer ride in this evening if it's not raining.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it is normal to get some squeal during the break in process....

mtbr member
    that's what I was guessing....

Thanks

mtbr member
    I just installed my first BB7's on a new Niner EMD9. I haven't ridden it yet but just how long does it take to beak in the brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just installed a new set of 160mm BB7's on the front of my bike to replace the Hayes MX2's that were on there. The front HOWL like a m-f'er . The rears are quiet but not grabbing like I wish they would. So this is what i've been doing for a while....

I am very meticulous when it comes to my bike and took every precaution to ensure a "perfect" install, from levers, cables, and so on. I actually managed to make the fronts not howl for a day, however after swapping skewers, the howling is back. I've even removed everything and reinstalled everything not to exclude cleaning the brake pads with 90% Iso Alcohol. So, i'm not sure what i'm going to do for the time being, maybe some more.

mtbr member
    I just rode mine up and down the block and the howl was not to bad. Not nearly as bad as my ceramic rims were when they were new. My rear was silent and the front not loud at all. If it stays like this and fades away, I'll be a happy man. Braking seems fine. I have them adjusted so the XT lever comes halfway to the bar.
    Last edited by Sweeney; 12-29-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Dirt Deviant
    Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope. Mine took a while until they started performing how I thought they should. Then, they just kept getting better. I'm running a BB7 on the front of my commuter, with a cheapo Tektro on the rear, and since they have both broken in, they work really good. Be very patient though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

I Have Cookies

BB7 Howl

Ive been riding bb7s on my rockhopper for about 4 months now and every now and again especally after it rains I will get a howl or a sgueal just clean your rotors once a week(depends how much you ride) with alcahol and this should keep everything happy! and yes after you clean the rotors the first 2 ot 3 stops will make a little noise. Heck even my Juicys do it on my prophet!

...idios...
    "Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope."

Brakes take ten minutes to break in to the point where they'll bite, then they'll find their best within a few miles on the trail. It shouldn't be a wait until you have properly functioning brakes - unless something is a miss, there's no reason why your first ride on new brakes should be spoiled by under-performance.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I installed BB7s up front a couple months back, and in the past week added the back to my GF Sugar I ride a couple times a week.
    My experience with both installs was that it took a couple of rides for them to really start biting like I expected.
    BTW, right in the instructions it states 30-40 on/off brake applications to seat the pads to best effect. Give it a little time. I've had no noise issues though. Great improvement.

mtbr member
    If the squeals don't go away after a reasonable break-in period, you might double check your pad spacing. I don't recall exactly what Avid says in their instructions, but I have found what works best is to set the pads so that one hits the rotor slightly before the other. This adds a small amount of tension and will cause the rotor to flex a bit during braking which may help dampen or even eliminate the vibrations.

banned
    Nov 2007
    I have found if you take your time on set up and then just let them break in after a few rides they will remain howl free.......I love these brakes !!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope."

Brakes take ten minutes to break in to the point where they'll bite, then they'll find their best within a few miles on the trail. It shouldn't be a wait until you have properly functioning brakes - unless something is a miss, there's no reason why your first ride on new brakes should be spoiled by under-performance.
    + 1 This matches my experience.

mtbr member
    Well, it must be my reward for clean living but I just go out for my first ride and the noise was gone half way through my 15 mile ride. Then, one little squeak when I got back to my driveway. No big deal on the setup; BB7's, 160 rotors on BWW Pure hubs with Mavic niner rims, and standard cables. They work like a dream. 100% improvement over my ceramic rim brakes which never completely stopped howling.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the BB7s for a couple of months now and last night noticed the squeak was back. Not when really braking, more when just slowing on the flats.

Could be dirty, not sure...I'll be pulling it apart for a good cleaning/adjustment this evening to take a look.

I have noticed on the one long downhill on my weekly loop that they don't seem to be grabbing like they used to so maybe it's dirty or needs adjustment.

Has anyone gone to a different rotor with the bb7s? if so why and what difference have you seen?

Thanks

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims
    Has anyone gone to a different rotor with the bb7s? if so why and what difference have you seen?

Thanks
    Alligator Windcutters. Love 'em. Light. Powerful. Light. IMO - cool looking. Light. And only about $16 - $20 per rotor. Did I mention light....?

No loss in braking power. No squealing. So good, that I dropped down in size from 180mm front and rear that I ran last season (Windcutters) to 160mm front/140mm rear for this season on both bikes.

Shot1

Get her dirty!!!

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Do stock bb7's come with organic or metallic pads?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If the brakes are making noise, then their making u go slower! We shouldnt have to deal with this kind of thing for the money we spend. Friction is BAD, makes u go SLOW. We Hate brake noises.

mtbr member
    Actually, while I'm climbing, it always feels like my brakes are rubbing....unfortunately that's never the case.
    It's only when applying the brakes that I'm getting noise

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STACK
    If the brakes are making noise, then their making u go slower! We shouldnt have to deal with this kind of thing for the money we spend. Friction is BAD, makes u go SLOW. We Hate brake noises.
    He's talking about the brakes squealing while he's braking, when friction IS good. BTW, v's can do the same thing.

Stack: Quit moaning and learn how to set up your f-ing brakes!

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope. Mine took a while until they started performing how I thought they should. Then, they just kept getting better. I'm running a BB7 on the front of my commuter, with a cheapo Tektro on the rear, and since they have both broken in, they work really good. Be very patient though.

what a coincidence. haha. im runnung the same thing. but avid bb5 front. and tektro io in the back?

MN/WI
    So rzims, any updates? I've got a Fisher Rig (for about a month now) with the same brakes. The back one squeals until it grabs. The wrench at the LBS has adjusted them once. Thanks in advance.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...