Thread: BB7/SD7 Install

mtbr member

New question here. BB7/SD7 Install

I'm looking to upgrade by brakes to BB7's with SD7 levers, and I think I can save some money if I buy them online. I've read a lot about them, and they seem really hard to get set up right. I don't have much experience with upgrading my bike, but I want to start doing upgrades myself so I know how everything works, and it just makes me feel better about riding it.

Are the brakes really that hard to install and get set up properly? Should I just buy them from my LBS and have them do the install?

Any helpful advice would greatly be appreciated!

~Disc~Golf~
    They are easy - if this is your first time it may take a bit of fiddling, but then again, if you have the shop do it, you'll be just as clueless as you are now.

learning how to do it yourself is the way to go IMO
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Token Hillbilly
    What he said.^^^

The easiest way I've found to do it is first put the rotor on, then loosely bolt on the caliper. Once this is done adjust both sides of the caliper inward until the wheel is locked in place. At this point you tighten the caliper bolts down, and adjust the pads out a few clicks on each side. Then BOOM! You've got brakes!

I learned that trick here, but have forgotten whom had taught me. Just payin it forward.

Good luck!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Class Clown
    they are really easy to install and adjust. just follow this guide:

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...60-install.pdf

Rub it............
    Do a search for Squash's posts on BB7 setup. He has some very good and detailed information in them. And has posted this numerous times.

It should be a sticky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by zjenni01
    I'm looking to upgrade by brakes to BB7's with SD7 levers, and I think I can save some money if I buy them online. I've read a lot about them, and they seem really hard to get set up right. I don't have much experience with upgrading my bike, but I want to start doing upgrades myself so I know how everything works, and it just makes me feel better about riding it.

Are the brakes really that hard to install and get set up properly? Should I just buy them from my LBS and have them do the install?

Any helpful advice would greatly be appreciated!
    No they are not that hard to install. 90% of the problems that folks have with installing BB7s is NOT following the directions! Imagine that! If you are willing to take the time, get the proper tools, properly prep the fork and/or frame (i.e. getting the disc tabs on the frame, and fork if the fork has an IS type mount, faced), and follow the directions, it really is easy. BB7s take a few more steps to set up than a hydraulic brake simply because they are mechanical and actually have more adjustments that can be made.

Anyway, as frdfandc said, I've developed a set of instructions for BB7 install and set up. They are based on a combination of the Avid instructions and a few tricks and refinements that I've come up with over the years. They aren't the definitive or only way to do it, but it's the best way I've found. If you want a copy PM me with your email address and I'll shoot em to you. They are in MS Word format. Used along with the Avid instructions that come with the brakes, mostly for the pictures and illustrations, you should have no problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera
    What he said.^^^

The easiest way I've found to do it is first put the rotor on, then loosely bolt on the caliper. Once this is done adjust both sides of the caliper inward until the wheel is locked in place. At this point you tighten the caliper bolts down, and adjust the pads out a few clicks on each side. Then BOOM! You've got brakes!

I learned that trick here, but have forgotten whom had taught me. Just payin it forward.

Good luck!

That's pretty much exactly what the instructions say. I just installed a front BB7 this weekend. Still dialing in the adjusting of the pads out, but I think I've got it now. Very easy. Almost easier than dialing in V brakes...