mtbr member
    Aug 2011

BB7 Road Vs. Mountain

Okay, so here's my dillemma. I recently purchased a Dawes roundhouse 2500 bike, and also recieved a single Avid BB7 Road brake system for my birthday (don't ask why only one), So I decided to install it in the rear brake slot and connected it to my Tektro Eclipse levers. At first I figured there was not much difference between the road and mountain version of the brakes, but after breaking them in a bit, I started looking around, and I am starting to think that the road versions aren't such a good idea for my bike and brake system. Can anyone set me straight, should I try and switch to mountain versions, or should I keep the road versions in?

AZ
    banned
    You should use the Mtn. version, braking performance will increase greatly. The other alternative is to use road levers to match the pull ratio of the road calipers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Alright, on a scale of 1 to 10, how critical is it that I replace them?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    depends- how badly do you want to brake well? Now without the sarcasm- i seriously suggest you get the mt versions

Huckin' trails
    I have the road version of the BB5 on my freeride and I really start to be afraid of trail with them, but they still work good as temporary fix. I will replace them with a BB7 MTB version anytime now. But I think as long as you also have good brake in the front, your good to go. I will use the BB5 as my rear brake on my trail bike with a 203mm rotor and I will try to let you know how I roll.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    And I think JensonUSA still have the 185mm BB7 MTB on sale at $45 right now... Include a caliper, rotor, pads, bolts, adaptors and a small torx key to assemble everything.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    And I think JensonUSA still have the 185mm BB7 MTB on sale at $45 right now... Include a caliper, rotor, pads, bolts, adaptors and a small torx key to assemble everything.

David
    I bought the 203mm BB7 MTB for $45 on JensonUSA this past Winter !
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    I bought the 203mm BB7 MTB for $45 on JensonUSA this past Winter !
    I did the same

Hep, what is the manufacturing date on the caliper and rotor ? Mine is April 14, 2011, for the 2010 model

David

Class Clown
    although technically they will tell you not to use that little tool to actually install the rotors and use a torque wrench instead (just saying)

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I did the same

Hep, what is the manufacturing date on the caliper and rotor ? Mine is April 14, 2011, for the 2010 model

David
    The rotor has: A 11 MAR 11
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    The rotor has: A 11 MAR 11
    So march 11, 2011...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dredging this thread up.....

I have BB7 roads on my Salsa La Cruz, they are good but not the most powerful, would switching to mtb BB7s be a possible/beneficial/practical upgrade? Currently have Shimano 105 levers/shifters.

I use this bike for commuting/adventure/rainy day rides on a mix of roads, fire roads and relatively buff singletrack

Also wondering if switching/replacing the pads/rotors would be a worthwhile improvement?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    Dredging this thread up.....

I have BB7 roads on my Salsa La Cruz, they are good but not the most powerful, would switching to mtb BB7s be a possible/beneficial/practical upgrade? Currently have Shimano 105 levers/shifters.

I use this bike for commuting/adventure/rainy day rides on a mix of roads, fire roads and relatively buff singletrack

Also wondering if switching/replacing the pads/rotors would be a worthwhile improvement?

Thanks in advance for the input.
    No, your braking would be worse with the mtn BB7, and likely non-existent because the levers will not pull enough cable.

I use BB7 road calipers with various Shimano STI levers (Sora, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace) and they all are very powerful.

Good straight cable routing and preferably full length housing maximizes power. Mostly use Avid G2 rotors and EBC Gold pads.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the reply, that is what I was figuring that the level pull would not be compatible.

I think fresh cables/full housing would be a good move for me and probably a fresh set of pads.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    gotta get the pads adjusted right. once you do that, they work great. i used them on a loaded tour and I'm 250 lbs and the bike had another 50 or so loaded on it plus the bike was about 35lbs!

no trees are safe
    How are we supposed to know if YOU need a brake change?