mtbr member

BB7 rear set up issue

I just put a BB7 on the rear (as a temporary till I get an Elixir CR for the rear) and what I'm noticing is I have decent modulation on the stand and off the bike.

When I get on the bike to test ride the brake cable gets real slack. I thought it might be compression from the rear shock. I ride an Santa Cruz SL. But I think this is unlikely.

Any thoughts? I tried to tighten the cable, but this only grabs the calipers to where it seizes the wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Something is wrong with your set-up, but I don't think we have enough information yet. So, for starters...

Are you using one continuous piece of housing from the lever to the caliper?

Can you post a few pictures? I'd like to see what the overall cable run looks like as well as closeups of where the housing enters the caliper and lever. If you're using interrupted housing, I'd like to see a closeup of the housing segment between the front triangle and the swingarm.

mtbr member
    I did cut the cable to feed it through the braze on guides. I may get another housing and run it contiguous.

mtbr member
    Dur, cut the cable housing that is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weasy
    I did cut the cable to feed it through the braze on guides. I may get another housing and run it contiguous.
    One of the things to watch out for on the housing segment that runs between the front and rear triangles is to make it long enough and route it so that there's no frame interference when you sit on the bike. Usually though, when frame interference occurs, this tightens up the cable (by pulling the housing slightly out of the stops), which is exactly the opposite of what's happening when you sit on your bike.

I guess another possibility is that the housing segment is too short, short enough to not properly rest in the cable stops when the suspension is at full extension. It could be that when you sit on the bike, suspension compression shortens the distance between the stop on the front triangle and rear triangle, allowing the housing to rest fully in the stops. This would cause the brake cable to slacken, resulting in the observed behavior. I'm not saying that this is what's happening on your bike, I'm just mentioning it as a possibility.

Again, pictures would really help.

mtbr member
    let some air out of the rear shock and move through the travel and see if anything wonky is happening to the cable housing. nice use of the word contiguous BTW.

mtbr member
    I fixed it. I just went to the LBS and got another length of housing and ran it as one piece. Now I gotta get those Probelm Solvers to route the cable properly. I zip tied it for short term.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    BTW, I can tell a definite difference between an Elixir CR and a BB7 brake. The BB7 does alot better than I thought it would in the rear (even with an Alligator rotor). However the CR is a much better brake. I can't wait to get a CR for the rear.

I put a BWW wheel with XCR hubs and rims and it ran really well. It also looks fly with a red hub, black spokes and red nipples on the Trans Red Superlight.