Ahhh the pain....

BB7 Pressure Foot clip mangled

Replacing my brake pads and like usual, turned the outboard adjuster too far out and the pressure foot came loose. Tying to push it back in and the small round piece of wire on the shaft of the foot was mangled and not sitting in the groove. So, I pulled it out which I assume is intended to be it's means of retention. However, putting the pads back with the spring seems to keep everything together fine....any issues with running it this way?
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    So you've mangled the retainer clip that holds the outboard pressure foot in place within the drive cam and now you're relying on the pad spreader to keep the outboard pressure foot in place within the drive cam.

By doing that you're relying on a part to do a job it isn't meant to do.
    I'd get a replacement retainer clip to have the peace of mind knowing that if the pad spreader broke the outboard pressure foot wouldn't come out of the drive cam and possibly jam the pad against the rotor or doing some other damage to the internals or body of the caliper.
    A tiny retainer clip that's missing could be an accident waiting to happen.

How did you manage to mangle the retainer clip ?

Ahhh the pain....
    Good question...I had put a screwdriver between the pressure feet then squeezed the lever to get the outboard foot to "snap" back in. It seemed to go back in although never "snapped". All seemed good until I put the pads back in and the wheel back on. WHen I squeezed the lever, it felt like there was sand in the cable...really rough feeling. So I took the pads back out and backed out the outboard adjuster so the foot would come out. Looked in there with a flashlight and noticed the clip was out of the slot and had deformed enough for me to grab it with some needlenose pliers.

I tend to agree with you regarding the spring doing the clips job. As the pads wear and the foot is further out, it could get jammed.

Do LBS's carry just the clip?
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/