mtbr member
    Oct 2006

BB7 pads offset from rotor?

I have some new bb7's with 180 rotors, front and rear. Both are installed per specs and don't rub and seem to work OK. Problem is my rotors showing wear farther towards the center than I think is right. In the pic I posted, it's like the pads are grabbing between the two black circles...shouldn't they be farther out? When I brake hard I hear ting, ting, ting, ting...like the pads are hitting each spoke of the rotor. This can't be right, any idea what's going on here?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Something is definitely wrong, post some photos of the brakes attached to the bike if you can.

I4NI
    mAYBE yor running the 165-175 caliper brkt?
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    looks to me that you have the wrong mount or you forgot the little ball and socket washers (CPS or something they call it) which will set you in about that much...?

really need pics of the mount ,caliper and rotor to tell what's going on.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Use a spacer on the front adater (post to adapter) I'm guessing your using G3's? my BB7's do the same with g3's (they have a smaller braking surface then g2's) use a spacer, go to a hardware store and pick up a few of various sizes, won't be more then a couple bucks and install them until you can see that the pads are only making contact with the braking surface.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

180 rotors ?

Wait a minute..
    The OP says he is using 180 rotors.
    I thought BB7s come with 185 rotors.
    Am I missing something?
    *edit*-
    My bad. I see now they do come with 180s.
    Maybe he has the wrong adaptors.
    ?
    Do the adaptors say they are 180?
    Are BB7 road brakes & adaptors different than MTB? (adaptors)
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Wait a minute..
    Am I missing something?
    BlueSky has 160 & 180mm

I'm thinking the OP got the wrong caliper brackets, maybe the 160's that would set the pads closer to the hub like in the pic
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Wait a minute..
    Am I missing something?
    Avid has followed that standard of 180 now.. think anything 2011 or 2012 in now 180, older will be 185...?

though that could be a small part if it's a mis matched set, but I'm guessing he got them as a full set from Avid with rotor and adaptors all in one pack..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Adapter is fine, you just need a washer on there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe the adapter is upside down. I've done that before..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes, they are the G3 rotors. They are brand new, out of the box. Adapters are facing the right direction and are the correct size for the rotors. I guess I need to get some washers and shim the caliper out. Here's the pics:

Caliper mounted with all CPS hardware

Goofy wear on the rotors

Huckin' trails
    See that little washer on top of each cup washers where your bolt head is resting ? Get this guy under the stack, between the adaptor and the first cup washer. It will help a lot in the meanwhile. The rotor pictured seems to be a G2 also.

I had similar situation this summer when installing my brand new 2011 203mm BB7 kit. Switching the washer to under helped, but strangely even if the pads were touching the rotor from the top, they were still larger then the G2 surface and kept on wearing down a bit pass the braking surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Yep, head to hardware store and buy a few washers and shim it.

Huckin' trails
    What I usually do when dealing with precision alignmemt work is run all spacer and washers on fine grit sand paper (240 or higher) on a flat surface to make sure I get the flatest contact surface and also help with reduce friction. Clean it good and install dry, without grease.

You could even polish up the cups and cones washers to get less resistance and easier movement when tightening down the CPS hardware.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ran to the hardware store and got some washers. Had to drill the holes out a bit to allow for the bolt to fit through. Sanded them down flat and installed. Looks like a winner! I drew a line across the rotor with a marker then spun the wheel a few times and hit the brakes. It looks like it lines up pretty well now, props for the good tips above!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh and you're right; they are G2 rotors, not G3.

Huckin' trails
    Good job.

Just be careful the pads don't go higher then the rotor to prevent un-even wear.

Glad it worked out good and fast. Go ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe you've been given 185mm older rotors by mistake??

Glad you found an easy solution, much easier to space things out the direction you had to go.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"