Thread: BB7 pad loose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

BB7 pad loose.

Sup guys, just threw on a 185mm BB7 kit on the front of my bike. After a quick adjustment, I was greeted with an obnoxiously loud squeal under hard braking (didn't mind it, it's like having a horn ) but that went away and I noticed that the bike clicks whenever the front suspension loads/unloads especially under hard braking. At first I thought it was the headset, but then i noticed that both the pads were moving with the rotor. On all brakes I've ever worked on in the past the pads stay tight in the caliper with no lateral (from the side perspective) movement. What gives?

Not a problem with my BB7s, is your spring retaining the pads okay? How can you see the pads hitting the rotor while riding? Why is your rotor moving?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'd make a video but essentially it boils down to this. If i go full tight on both adjusting knobs or if you have someone hold the brake for me I can grab the wheel and watch the pads go back and forth clamped on the rotor. It moves about 2mm. I know it doesn't seem like much but 2mm at 185mm diameter becomes a lot when transfered to the 26" inch wheel.

BTW just to clarify, this is with the bike upside down that I see the pad moving. While riding all i hear is clicking as the pads move back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettorider
    I'd make a video but essentially it boils down to this. If i go full tight on both adjusting knobs or if you have someone hold the brake for me I can grab the wheel and watch the pads go back and forth clamped on the rotor. It moves about 2mm. I know it doesn't seem like much but 2mm at 185mm diameter becomes a lot when transfered to the 26" inch wheel.

BTW just to clarify, this is with the bike upside down that I see the pad moving. While riding all i hear is clicking as the pads move back and forth.
    Not there with you, but if your pads are clamped to the rotor you shouldn't have any movement. You sure your hubs are adjusted well?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    cartridge bearing hub, and i have maybe 40-50 miles on it all on road. When the bike is upside down and I move the wheel I can actually SEE the pads the move relative to the caliper. IDK I'm guessing it's a manufacturer's defect on either the pads or the caliper.

cartridge bearing hub, and i have maybe 40-50 miles on it all on road. When the bike is upside down and I move the wheel I can actually SEE the pads the move relative to the caliper. IDK I'm guessing it's a manufacturer's defect on either the pads or the caliper.
    Or your adjustment of the pads/caliper...mine don't move at all.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the only adjustments are the 2 pads and the post mount eyelets, in my case the actual pads are moving around in the housing. I'll make a video.

squish is good
    Video would be helpful, it sounds to me like the spring that holds the pads out is not in the right place though, they can be tricky to get in properly. It took me a while to figure out the first time I took my pads out.
    Bike good, work bad.

the only adjustments are the 2 pads and the post mount eyelets, in my case the actual pads are moving around in the housing. I'll make a video.
    The video might help. You described adjusting both knobs tight to the rotor, like in setup of the brake I assume, and there should be no movement of what you describe. Maybe your pads aren't sitting correctly in the caliper...what pads are you using?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Apparently they weren't seated right. I backed off the adjustment on both sides all the way again, played with the pads some more and then readjusted and no more play. Thanks for all the help guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    went out for a ride today and it's still clicking like crazy. I'm uploading the video right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKa04FNnoY

i'm basically locking the pads onto the rotor, grabbing the wheel by the outer edge and rocking it back and forth. you can see the pads move around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn7vblKweP4

and here I'm reproducing the clicking noise that I get while riding. As you can see I close the pads on the rotor, and turn the wheel backwards to set the pads in the lowest position they can be in. Once the wheel is spinning in the right direction and the pads close in they move up with the rotor.

you can see the spring moving through the back of the caliper in both videos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Any ideas before I contact SRAM?

mtbr member
    Something's dicked-up in there for sure.

I understood what you were saying initially, without the video. But the video you posted shows it pretty clear.

I also think it could possibly be the spring deal that holds ths two pads open in place when installed into the caliper.

I run older BB7's, and this may not apply to your newer ones, but when i've screwed around with my pads before, i managed to pull out the old pads, then install the new pad/spring assembly backwards... It fit in the wrong way, but obviously something wasn't right. It was pretty easy to figure out after I put the wheel back into the fork.

I'd try to complely remove the whole pad assembly, make sure everything is aligned properly, then stick it back in there, and see how it fits. Other than that, i dunno what else it could be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ghettorider, any update on a fix?

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's normal, as far as I can tell. The '09 BB-7s on my son's bike does this. I don't recall the '05 BB-7's doing this but I only put about 75 miles on them before I upgraded the brakes on that bike.

There has to be some gap between the caliper and the pads or else the pads will be wedged into the calipers and the brakes will either not work or be locked all the time.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Almost forgot: my Hope Mono-Minis do this, too, to a lesser degree.