Thread: BB7 Noise

mtbr member
    May 2005

BB7 Noise

After about 50 miles on a set of new BB7's i have started to hear a funny "pinging" or chiming noise coming from my frint brake. I only hear this however when I am turning the wheel rather hard, twisting it. I have spun the wheel rather fast upside down and can not see a visible bend in teh rotor. Any one have any thoughts? The brake works perfecty other than this noise
    Last edited by adventureboy27; 04-11-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: chang ename of title

≈ > ♥
    What rotors are you running?

If you have the 2-pc 'floating' rotors the rivets may be hitting the caliper under load.

~Disc~Golf~
    that'll happen due to the twist from your fork-legs -
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it's just flex in the fork or maybe even the wheel itself causing the rotor to just baaarely tink against the brake pad when you are really cornering hard or turning, etc. You could probably tune it out by spacing the pads further from the rotor, but it is no big deal.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

~Disc~Golf~
    I think this type of 'shing!' happens to mechanicals too due to the way that the pad retraction system works (please tell me if I'm wrong! )
    A good hydraulic caliper 'self-adjusts' and keeps the pads 'deadened' by the piston against the back of the pad.
    A mechanical (good or not) caliper's piston 'homes' to the same place every time (unless it's adjusted of course). After some pad wear, a gap develops between the pad and the disc and the pad is allowed some minute back-and-forth action. What, for lack of a better term, happens is the pad can 'jingle'; striking the rotor and ringing that 'zschiiing' sound. (note that I'm not talking about the 'turkey warble')
    I always had this phenomenon happen to me when I reached a speed ~21-22 mph and it dissipated around 24. My front brake would schiiiing-shiiiing....etc.My rear brake never did that. I tune brakes fine, so I reasoned that it was because of the air-flow getting inside of the caliper/pads. The angles are quite a bit different between the F and R calipers.
    So, I made a cardboard 'shield' around the BB7 caliper and zoomed my ass down a hill - you guessed it - no noise. All the jingly (it's REALLY minor) was just a factor of the forces at hand.

Is the red light on?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2005

thanks

the replys have been interesting to read as this is my first set of disc brakes to trouble shoot. I will play around with the spacing a little and check to see if the rotor is warped slightly. thanks for the input

mtbr member
    May 2008
    make sure your quick release is tightened properly

mtbr member
    May 2005

no mo noise

thanks evryone. seems like the quick release was the key. i played around with different tensions and the noise has finally subsided.