mtbr member
    Feb 2011

BB7 model year changes

Does anyone know what changed on the BB7s from the 2010 to 2011 model years? I have read they they were "upgraded" but as far as I can tell the CPS and all other features are the same. The only difference I can see is that they go slightly lighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Does anyone know what changed on the BB7s from the 2010 to 2011 model years? I have read they they were "upgraded" but as far as I can tell the CPS and all other features are the same. The only difference I can see is that they go slightly lighter.
    No real changes between the 10 and 11 models. The only recent change is between the 11 and 12s. 2012 brakes now use a 180mm rotor for the first bump up in rotor size instead of the 185mm. Which is nice, you won't have to track down a 185mm aftermarket rotor, or fiddle with finding an appropriate 180mm adapter should you want to go with aftermarket rotors.

Other than that BB7s have changed very little since like 07 or 08 when they lightened em up a bit and went with the dark gray finish to distinguish them from the road models. Since then everything has been small tweaks, changing the shape of the pad adjuster knobs, etc.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info! I was going solely based on the model year (which is often advertised incorrectly) and I never noticed that some sets are advertised as 180 and some as 185mm. If the 185s are getting harder to find and more expensive I'll go with the 180mm. JensonUSA has closeout '10 models and the size is 180mm and the price is right.

Question: Are the calipers specific to the rotor size...if I buy a 160mm now and want to upgrade to 180 I have to buy a new caliper and vice versa?

Huckin' trails
    Question: Are the calipers specific to the rotor size...if I buy a 160mm now and want to upgrade to 180 I have to buy a new caliper and vice versa?
    Nope,calipers are calipers... The kit you buy is specific to the rotor size, but the only difference between a kit of 160mm and a kit of 180mm is the adaptors and the rotor size. The caliper is the same.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for the info! I was going solely based on the model year (which is often advertised incorrectly) and I never noticed that some sets are advertised as 180 and some as 185mm. If the 185s are getting harder to find and more expensive I'll go with the 180mm. JensonUSA has closeout '10 models and the size is 180mm and the price is right.

If the description is '10 and 180mm either the year or the rotor size is wrong. Avid has not offered 180mm rotors until the 2012 model year.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    To switch from bb5's to bb7s is just a caliper swap correct?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by ej63090 View Post
    To switch from bb5's to bb7s is just a caliper swap correct?
    Calipers and brake pads. But yeah, adaptors should be the same.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If the description is '10 and 180mm either the year or the rotor size is wrong. Avid has not offered 180mm rotors until the 2012 model year.
    Are you sure on that? The current Avid website shows new BB7s come with 185mm. I'm thinking the numbers are reversed and 180 is the original size and 185 is the new size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have 11s with 185s.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Are you sure on that? The current Avid website shows new BB7s come with 185mm. I'm thinking the numbers are reversed and 180 is the original size and 185 is the new size.
    185mm = old size

The website mustn't be up to date.

2009 Avid Rotors

Positive. I have been using 185mm Avid rotors, with mounting brackets stamped with "185", for many years
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Adapters should be the same, as are the cps spacers. They've been using those on the Juicy lines, the XX, X0, lines, and the BB5-7's. You could take an adapter with spacers from an old Juicy 7 from 6 years ago and still use them on a 2011 XX brake. Avid's mounting system thankfully hasn't changed much over the years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I'm positive as well. I just picked up a set of 12s for a build project and the rotor and adapter are stamped 180mm.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for double checking everyone! Seems like the 180/185 are way more popular then the 160's. Are the 160's not enough for everyday use?

Huckin' trails
    Thanks for double checking everyone! Seems like the 180/185 are way more popular then the 160's. Are the 160's not enough for everyday use?
    160 look cheapy on a MTB. That 's why.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Im 225lbs and the 160s were just too little to stop me consistently. Plus, on a XL 29er, 160s look way out of place.

There is nothing wrong with 160/160.

I use the 185 front mostly to decrease the effort required to brake and reduce fatigue on long rides.

I have also tried the 185 on the rear but it made little difference in overall performance.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    on a XL 29er, 160s look way out of place.
    Wrong! They look better, even more better........