Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

BB7 model year changes

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Yogii 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what changed on the BB7s from the 2010 to 2011 model years? I have read they they were "upgraded" but as far as I can tell the CPS and all other features are the same. The only difference I can see is that they go slightly lighter.

#2 ·
No real changes between the 10 and 11 models. The only recent change is between the 11 and 12s. 2012 brakes now use a 180mm rotor for the first bump up in rotor size instead of the 185mm. Which is nice, you won't have to track down a 185mm aftermarket rotor, or fiddle with finding an appropriate 180mm adapter should you want to go with aftermarket rotors.

Other than that BB7s have changed very little since like 07 or 08 when they lightened em up a bit and went with the dark gray finish to distinguish them from the road models. Since then everything has been small tweaks, changing the shape of the pad adjuster knobs, etc.

Good Dirt

#3 ·
Thanks for the info! I was going solely based on the model year (which is often advertised incorrectly) and I never noticed that some sets are advertised as 180 and some as 185mm. If the 185s are getting harder to find and more expensive I'll go with the 180mm. JensonUSA has closeout '10 models and the size is 180mm and the price is right.

Question: Are the calipers specific to the rotor size...if I buy a 160mm now and want to upgrade to 180 I have to buy a new caliper and vice versa?

#4 ·
Question: Are the calipers specific to the rotor size...if I buy a 160mm now and want to upgrade to 180 I have to buy a new caliper and vice versa?
Nope,calipers are calipers... The kit you buy is specific to the rotor size, but the only difference between a kit of 160mm and a kit of 180mm is the adaptors and the rotor size. The caliper is the same.

David

#12 ·
Adapters should be the same, as are the cps spacers. They've been using those on the Juicy lines, the XX, X0, lines, and the BB5-7's. You could take an adapter with spacers from an old Juicy 7 from 6 years ago and still use them on a 2011 XX brake. Avid's mounting system thankfully hasn't changed much over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.