mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BB7 and marzocchi vibration

Hello all - I installed a 185 mm bb7 (2008 model) on a marzocchi marathon xc (2005 - 30mm stanchions). When I applied the brake I could see and feel the fork vibrating back and forth (while on the road). I did not look on the trails or feel it on the trails. Will this vibration go away somewhat once the pads have bedded in or is this something I get to look forward to? Would a 160mm rotor solve this? Different brake pads? Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    make sure the caliper is centered and parallel to the rotor..... and wait until the pads are broken in...

Meh.
    Also check your QR for tightness and your hub and headset for any play.

banned
    wait until the pads are broken in then troubleshoot, you dont have a loose headset do you? go to park tool tutorial for BB7 install if need be, I have a 2004 marathon s with no problems with BB7S....cheers.

mtbr member
    I agree with both of the posters above, and will add to the first posters suggestion. After I install brakes I put my bike in my trainer. this lets me stand on the bike, hold the front brake lever engaged and look over my handle bars staight down at the rotor and the pads while they are engaged. I swamp tires,brakes, and forks frequently and although it has only happened once that I'm aware of but this is why i check both engaged and unengaged, the rotor and pads looked they were parrallel and correctly spaced when the brake was unengaged, but when i squeezed the lever the lower part of the pad would start to twist the rotor. Not sure if this would cause vibration but its good to check anyway. You could do the test without the trainer by standing in front of the bike (facing it).
    The next one I have to admit is pretty idiotic but things happen. I have several bikes and I'm usually fiddling with one. I've stopped projects in the middle becuase its to late, or friends have stopped by whatever. Then I may not have a chance to work on a bike for a couple of days and forget the last thing that i did. One time I threw on a bunch of components to get them on the bike before adjusting all of them. I didn't get to the front pad pod before quitting for the day. Well a couple of days later I grab the bike to take it for a spin. While pushing the bike out the door I tested the brakes. The front rattled horribly. Some of the hex bolts had not been fully tightened. It's a really stupid mistake but they happen, that is why a pre-ride flight check is a good idea.
    Anyway good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmore1535
    I have a 2004 marathon s with no problems with BB7S....cheers.
    thomasmore1535 - Do you have a 185mm rotor?

Thanks for the input guys. I did check to see if the caliper was square to the rotor - looks fine. I guess I will have to wait until everything is bedded in. That means I get to ride more - yea

banned
    I have 160s.you might consider powerline brake cables for optimal performance, they work great for me however installation can be difficult and the outer housing is a bit fragile, mine have worked great for 2 years now...I have tried all cables.my brakes were grabby too until seated maybe yours are more so because they are more powerful.