mtbr member
    Aug 2008

BB7 issues and a question

I just put new BB7's on my bike, a '03 Sugar. They have been working pretty good, but the front with stop me to point of throwing me over the bars, but the rear is a squishy slow stop. I can't figure out why I can't get more power out of the rear. Also, I have each adjusted as close to rotor as I can without them making noise. The front I only have to pull about a 3/8" before I get solid braking (w/ XT handle) The rear I could pull it to the handle bar and I just slow down. What do I need to do? Is this caused by the cable housing compression? I have never been able to figure out if a cable is ridng thru the housing why compression would rob me of power. Are the XT handles adjustable in any way to help....

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Looks like maybe the brakes are reversed. The front is never designed to be grabby and lock up, while the rear most always lock up. Get all-new cables(F/R) and try swapping them out again. You might like the result much better.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

There's no difference in the calipers front to rear except in their mounting hardware.

OP--What housing are you using? Setting your pads close to the rotor doesn't necessarily mean much except contact point. Have you changed the leverage adjustments in your levers? You might also have glazed or contaminated pads in the rear.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are new brakes...less than 30 miles or so. The cables are also new, but I am at the moment using regular cables and housings. I am wanting some gore-on or flak jackets or something thinking maybe that could help. I guess it is possible for the rear to be glazed, but honestly this is exactly how it has been since installed.

mtbr member

Hope Square Up the Housing Ends...

If the ends of your cable housing are cut at any angle but flat and square then the cables can rock back and forth in the stop and cause mush. Try filing the ends flat, making sure not to let filings into the housing, and make sure the ferrules are square. Make sure the cables are straight and not kinked. Any excess housing can cause mush too.
    Are the pads parallel to the disc? Have you pulled enough cable through, or too much on the front? Hope this helps.

The Mud Stud
    Try full length housings.

~Disc~Golf~
    hate to bring up an obvious question...have you contaminated the brake pad/rotor? even oils from your grubby little paws can mess up the grip.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah I ran full length housings for both. And don't get me wrong, they do work, the rear just does not have the same power as the front. Maybe some Avid 7 levers would help with their adjustability. Either way I am going to put better cables/housings. It can't hurt, and for the price for a pair of levers and cables on Ebay its worth a try.

Ride Everything
    Cable/housing prep will make an enormous difference in your brakes' feel/power. Start with lined housing (bulk Jagwire is fine), make sure the housing ends are filed/ground square/flat, the (metal) ferrules are fully seated, and if using non-coated cables, lightly used. For cables, stainless die-drawn work great, and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Also, BB7s generally work better with their SD levers (because you can dial them in to get the exact feel you want). Also, Avid's organic pads give a little better "bite" and modulation (but don't last as long, or work as well when wet).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

The Mud Stud
    An excessive bend in the cable may be causing it. My rear brake was sort of like that when I first got it. Now it locks on command (and often without it).

Quote Originally Posted by firebike7
    Yeah I ran full length housings for both. And don't get me wrong, they do work, the rear just does not have the same power as the front. Maybe some Avid 7 levers would help with their adjustability. Either way I am going to put better cables/housings. It can't hurt, and for the price for a pair of levers and cables on Ebay its worth a try.
    You do know that your Xt levers have similar adjustments as the Avid levers, although a bit less obvious?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    shorten the cables. also consider using a single shroud all the way back to the caliper

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    have you also checked your rotor for trueness??

since you set it "as close as possible without making noise", it could be that an out of true rotor makes noise with the pads further apart than one that is true, therefore you could have a difference in feel and braking power.....

mtbr member
    Is your front rotor bigger than the rear rotor? I have a 203 on front and a 185 on back on my hard tail. There's a difference, but I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me.
    The contamination of disc or pads seems like another item to investigate, as Bikinfoolferlife stated.