mtbr member
    Mar 2008

BB7 to hydro's and weight savings

Howdy,

Need some help with a brake upgrade. Current setup: Hardtail 29er, BB7's, XTish build level for XC racing. Geared up rider weight 175lb.

I've always liked my BB7's, but I have some cash right now and was thinking of going to hydro's. I've ridden many other bikes with XT, XTR, XX, Formula, etc. and I like the increased stopping power of the hydro systems.

My question is whether I would also save weight by going hydro? I have money for XT level brakes or the equivalent from another manufacturer. Here are my calculations:

BB7 329g for 160mm front setup with G2 rotor plus 75g for Speed Dial SL lever. @405g plus maybe 50ish for cables and housing(GORE) for 450ish or so.

XT calipers, hose, and levers list around 300g not including the rotor. I'd keep my G2's at 113G each. So total around 410g.

Doesn't seem like I'd save much weight at all with the setup. I'd like to save at least 100g or more for this brake swap. I can't afford the high end stuff like XX, XTR. Are my calculations correct? Any advice on a brake change that will give me good hydro's and some weight savings?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

mtbr member
    Not sure if fluid is included in your calculations. If it isn't then they might be equal.

Sounds like your money is burning a hole in your pocket. Go to the reviews for brakes, look at the average number of flaming chillis for the BB7, and then compare it to whatever else you think you might want. Just judging by that, BB7's are some of the best disc brakes out there and they probably have higher reviews than anything else in your price range. Quite a few people actually prefer BB7 to hydros, but personally I wouldn't change unless the BB7 is not cutting it for you, but you've got to be doing some crazy stuff to get past what the BB7 can handle nicely.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    The actual weight of the BB7's including hardware, cables, and SD7 levers I pulled off a bike yesterday is 756 g. CS2 160mm rotors are listed as 111 g/ ea, so the total would be 958 g for the entire system.

I am shedding a ton on weight by installing a set of Magura Marta's. Not to mention, IMO, much better feel and performance.
    Get it unlocked.

Did I catch a niner?
    The time that I feel hydro's where the best buy is when I am on the last lap of a race and dog tired with hardly any energy to pull a cable acuated brake (of course I could pull it regardless).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1