Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30

    BB7 to Formula brakes

    I have pretty well convinced myself to go with a set of Formula brakes - I really like the Oro Bianco in particular. Any reason for not getting them? BB7s are definitely good but I have decided on hydraulic. I ride XC and the BB7s are more than enough but.....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,829
    You may have a hard time finding them since they are discontinued. Or, you may find a great sale. Anyway,the oro series will be a nice upgrade. The K18 (the ones I have) K24, or the new and expensive, but light, R1 are the current models.

    Make sure you get the sintered pads to replace the stock ones. They are a nice upgrade.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30
    I was wondering about the Biancos being an older model, I am not up on all of the different models but I prefer the finish of them compared to the K18 and 24. Hopefully there is not much difference between them in function and performance.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by NewNRS3
    I was wondering about the Biancos being an older model, I am not up on all of the different models but I prefer the finish of them compared to the K18 and 24. Hopefully there is not much difference between them in function and performance.
    small differences from the k24, upgraded hardware/hose/lever, finish. Function will be the same if the same pads are used. I believe the biancos came with the sintered pads stock
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30
    Managed to get a good deal on a new set of '09 K24s with 160 rotors so will go with them. Checked out some shots of the new R1series - maybe later in the year will look into a set in red if they are not too expensive. I'm going to try and live with the white K24 color although their braking ability will certainly help me over look it I'm sure.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    160
    I've demoed several Oros and no exemplar was superior to my BB7 (with FMJ, EBC gold pads). About the same power in the rear, less power in the front than my BB7s. And no better modulation. Many cash for some weight loss. I would recommend to invest the money for other nice parts.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30
    I appreciate your insight and advice - I was somewhat hesitant at going to hydros as the BB7s, properly setup with the right pad material are an excellent brake system but I guess I just have to try the Formulas. I won't be getting rid of the BB7s as I spent a few $ getting the Ultimate levers and larger rotors. My old NRS never had it so good. I've upgraded everything, don't need a newer model so I suppose this is something too many of us do!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MartinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by trelgne
    I've demoed several Oros and no exemplar was superior to my BB7 (with FMJ, EBC gold pads). About the same power in the rear, less power in the front than my BB7s. And no better modulation. Many cash for some weight loss. I would recommend to invest the money for other nice parts.
    I just have to chime in, yes BB7s are excellent cable actuated brakes and yes, they are all many riders need if you live in an area without long descents. I live in a ski town that has several 2000-3000+ foot descents and I regularly run into tourists having a hell of a time with BB7s that are cooked, this is where hydros excel over BB7s as they disapate heat better and require less hand pressure to keep your bike in control. A 45 minute DH with cable actuated brakes and your hands will be cramped pretty bad.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    I just have to chime in, yes BB7s are excellent cable actuated brakes and yes, they are all many riders need if you live in an area without long descents. I live in a ski town that has several 2000-3000+ foot descents and I regularly run into tourists having a hell of a time with BB7s that are cooked, this is where hydros excel over BB7s as they disapate heat better and require less hand pressure to keep your bike in control. A 45 minute DH with cable actuated brakes and your hands will be cramped pretty bad.
    This should be a problem of the roundagon rotors. They are worse towards heat handling. If you use better rotors with the BB7, why should they be worse in fading? Same pad fading with same pads/rotors, but no danger of overheating break fluid. And the needed hand power is in the same league as with a good hydro, if people would use a well installed compressionless cable system - but most folks don't!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •