Thread: BB7 curiousity

thecentralscrutinizer

BB7 curiousity

For those of you who run the BB7's.

Has anyone experienced problems with the H-spring not having enough tension to return the pads to the original position after braking? I was having a dragging problem with the front caliper and finally decided to just change the pads and spring after many adjustments and alignments.

Problem gone.

I made no other adjustments to the caliper. You could see that the uppermost portion of the pad was not returning. It was strange. there was not any dirt or anything preventing the pad from returning.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Are you aware that....

there is a tension adjustment for the return spring on BB 5 and 7 brakes? There is a small 2.5mm allen head bolt at the bend inside the lever arm on the caliper. Turn it in to increase return tension, out to decrease. Simple as that. Adjusting that bolt likely would have solved your problem with out resorting to new pads etc.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

thecentralscrutinizer
    Yes. That's for the cable. That was working great and as advertised. In this case, that wasn't hanging up. Weird.

Thanks.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

Meh.
    You can stretch out those H-springs.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I didn't even think about this idea. That's a good one though. I'll try this if the problem comes back. Right now everything seems to be running smooth and quite. Thanks.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

Uit Nederland
    If you do it is incredibly easy to increase the tension opening the spring. I do it every time I clean my brakes out, or replace the pads, just give it a quick pull and you're set.

bi-winning
    i have not had any problems with the spring
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The "H-spring" is just the little connector doohickey for the two pads, correct?

I'm just trying to make sure I'm on the same page here; I should maybe to a look at mine since I've got a very slightly sticky brake I'm goofing around with...

Thanks.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay the H spring.....

I wasn't sure exactly what you were talking about, sorry. Yeah it can be adjusted. I've never had a problem with them. It is rather unusual. But if for some reason the spring was too weak or became compressed it could cause problems. If needed a slight bend outward at the tab where the sping is folded over should solve any retraction problems. It shouldn't take any major adjustments though. It doesn't require much force to stabilize the inboard pad an retract the outboard pad. If it does you may need to disassemble the caliper and clean and relube. While the BB series of brakes are very reliable and low maintenance, they do require occasional service. They can get pretty gritty and gunked up inside over time. That and lube degrades overtime as well. This is usually what causes retraction problems in BB brakes. That and lack of cable maintenance. Complete instructions for rebuild are on the SRAM website and it really is easy to do. We've done several BB rebuild/services in the shop so far this spring. So if you've owned them for a year or two it may be time to service the caliper. Just a thought.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"