mtbr member
    May 2013

BB7 calipers with rt81 ice tech rotors

Has anyone tried this, or a similar combination and how did it work?

I have the calipers and rotors ready to go and I'm just waiting for the mail man to bring me my new center lock wheels. I'm posting this partially to see if anyone has experience with a similar combo and partially because I know someone else must want to know how this combo works out for me.

When held against a pair of 160mm HS1 rotors that came with the calipers the shimano ones look to be near identical diameter but their braking surface is substantially wider. The batteries in my calipers are dead but on the sliding scale the thickness appears to be the same to within 0.1mm. I'll definitely need to clip off the pad tabs so they don't hit the aluminum spider on the rotors but other than that it looks like it should work.

the only thing I'm worried about is the wide aluminum spider not allowing the braking surface to flex enough for the one sided BB7 caliper operation. I'm also a little apprehensive of the aluminum core as I'm not sure what method of bonding they used, but in general aluminum has a very different thermal expansion rate from steels and doesn't like to be bonded to it in thermal applications. I guess time will tell if the rotors temperature is hot enough to adversely affect the longevity of the bond.

mtbr member
    I had issues with the bb7 caliper rubbing on the spider arms. I ended up buying some xtr brakes so I didn't have to worry about it.

Trail Prospector
    Also found this ^. Was an easy fix, just cut off the inner BB-7 pad's tab to gain the needed clearance.
    Feel that the ice-tech rotors work quite well, better than the Storm SL's and far better than the Clean Sweep's.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wheels came today so I was able to install my brakes. I had the same issue as moefosho with the spider arms just nicking the corner of the caliper. Rather than spending a few hundred dollars on a completely new brake system I just took a file and put a slightly larger radius on the lower edge of the caliper housing where it was rubbing. The interference was really only about as thick as the paint on the calipers and not it works perfectly with room to spare!

Other than that, the pads line up perfectly on the rotors and after riding it around the block a few times to start the bedding in process they feel great. I can't wait to get them out on the trail to see how they perform their intended duty.