mtbr member
    Jul 2005

BB7 Boat Anchor Relief?

I have BB7s right now with speed dial levers. I'm looking to shed some weight but I want to be under 300 dollars on a complete set of new brakes. Is this possible or even worth it?

I am a "light" rider who does cross country mostly so 140 to 160mm rotors would be ok with me. I only weigh 150lbs.

I'd like to stay disc brakes though because I do a lot of wet riding after or during a rain. Should I try hydros? If so I'd like a hydro that is fairly reliable and doesn't need a lot of service. I don't care if the brakes are noisy like the Avids. Priorities in order: 1) Weight 2) $$$ 3) Reliability and maintenance 4) Stopping power

Thanks,
    Chris

On MTBR hiatus :(
    If you're really that hung up with sheding that 200g BB7 weight penalty, why not combine that new front Hope Mini (or whichever) with a switch to a V-brake rear? Even in inclimate weather this wouldn't be a huge performance disadvantage.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't want to buy new rims. Please stick to disc/disc suggestions. Also if you could provide me specific model details that would be great.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Wow, sorry to ruffle your feathers there, Chris. Missed the part about needing / not wanting new rims in your original post.

Actually, your decision seems pretty straight forward, based on your ranking criteria. Definitely spend a few minutes on starbike's weightweenie page. It's a great "help yourself" reference for real-life weights of every component imaginable. Here's the link to their disc brake page:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=discbrakes

I'd make a short list of the lightest disc brake setups, and pick the first one that matches your budget.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as ruffled. Internet and tone of voice don't co-exist I guess. Anyways....I checked the weight weenies page before you suggest it and it doesn't seem very helpful considering alot of it is out of date and it doesn't take into account the reliability of the brakes. I've heard Avid Juicys and Shimanos are more reliable than Formula Oros and Magra SLs and I've heard to stay away from Hope Mono Minis unless you want to be in the shop half the time..

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as ruffled. Internet and tone of voice don't co-exist I guess. Anyways....I checked the weight weenies page before you suggest it and it doesn't seem very helpful considering alot of it is out of date and it doesn't take into account the reliability of the brakes. I've heard Avid Juicys and Shimanos are more reliable than Formula Oros and Magra SLs and I've heard to stay away from Hope Mono Minis unless you want to be in the shop half the time..
    Bought a set of used mini's last year and haven't had a single problem with them.

mtbr member
    In terms of reliability all of the brakes you mention are very good. The only ones that seem to get regularly poor reports are the lower end Hayes. By reliability I assume you mean how often the brakes leak, or the master cylinder stops pumping fluid to calipers. In addition to your interest in their weight you should look at things like ease of set up and the likelihood of them dragging or howling.

Take your time and do some searches here on the brakes you are interested in. That way you'll get a good representative view of people's experiences.

Tim

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    I...I'd like to stay disc brakes though because I do a lot of wet riding after or during a rain. Should I try hydros? If so I'd like a hydro that is fairly reliable and doesn't need a lot of service. I don't care if the brakes are noisy like the Avids. Priorities in order: 1) Weight 2) $$$ 3) Reliability and maintenance 4) Stopping power

Thanks,
    Chris
    Even though you said stay with discs, if that is really your priority order, switch to cantilevers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How much do LX brakes weigh? Jenson has them cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

what shiggy said

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Even though you said stay with discs, if that is really your priority order, switch to cantilevers.
    Other than not having the right wheels with a braking track it sounds like paul canti brakes would work great for you I have them on my cross bikes and they rock, there kinda expensive, but cheap compared to highend hydro brakes.