Thread: BB7 or BB5?

mtbr member

New question here. BB7 or BB5?

I have a 06' Spec Hardrock that I am trying to get one more season of riding out of before I make the plunge for a dual susser. I have a set of Tektro IO mech disc brakes that, in all honesty, are not very good. They rub a lot and are VERY difficult to adjust and keep in adjustment. They never really seemed to fit well with the Deore M525 rear hub on my bike.

I would like to get a set of BB5s or BB7s to replace the Tektros. I want to go the cheapest route, but I still want trouble free, good (or at least adequate) performance. Would a set of BB5s suffice for a year, or should I start scanning E-bay for some used BB7s? Any advice from owners of either brake set would be greatly appreciated!

bi-winning
    The performance should be nearly the same, but the extra dial on the 7s make it easier to adjust them to perform as desired.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Freshly Fujified

Go used BB7's

Unless you get a great deal on the BB5's, I would see if you can't get a set of used BB7's. they are very reliable, and only the least amount of PM are needed in order to keep them in decent shape. I managed to get a set of used BB7 calipers for $50 here on the mtbr classifieds. If you can do this, i'd see if they will work with the tektro calipers you have.

Two problems I see are the fact that the market for BB7s has always been strong, so true 'deals" are few and far between. Furthermore, finding someone to sell just the calipers is even more difficult. If you have a month or so to diligently check ebay, mtbr, craigslist, etc. then I would hold out for BB7's if you need quick and cheap, look for the BB5's. You can still find '05 and '06 versions at the online stores for less than $90 including rotors.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If you can do this, i'd see if they will work with the tektro calipers you have.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

Poor design?

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Unless you get a great deal on the BB5's, I would see if you can't get a set of used BB7's. they are very reliable, and only the least amount of PM are needed in order to keep them in decent shape. I managed to get a set of used BB7 calipers for $50 here on the mtbr classifieds. If you can do this, i'd see if they will work with the tektro calipers you have.

Two problems I see are the fact that the market for BB7s has always been strong, so true 'deals" are few and far between. Furthermore, finding someone to sell just the calipers is even more difficult. If you have a month or so to diligently check ebay, mtbr, craigslist, etc. then I would hold out for BB7's if you need quick and cheap, look for the BB5's. You can still find '05 and '06 versions at the online stores for less than $90 including rotors.

Bob
    Will I have any difficulty with the Avids fitting my hubs or frame? After I installed the Tektros, I could barely turn my rear wheel due to the excessive rub. I took it to my LBS and they had to work with the hub for an hour just to get enough space for the brakes to be installed, and they still rub slightly. My mechanic said that brakes should work with any hub, and the Tektros are just poorly designed, and I tend to believe him. The only reason I have them is because they were a freebie from a friend who replaced them with Avid BBs.

I am not sure exactly what the mechanic did, but he adjusted the hub so the rotor was positioned farther from the outside brake pad. Originally the outside pad was pushing (quite forcefully) against the rotor. It was impossible to ride the bike like this. I felt like I was climbing when I was going downhill!

This won't happen with a set of BBs, will it?

mtbr member
    May 2004

its all about set ups with the bb7's

You can look at the purchase of bb7's as an investment for your future bike. When you get ready to sell your old steed, just slap the old tektros back on. Then again, on the other hand, the cost of adding the bb7's could be applied to a new bike with bb7's. I would definately go with the bb7 over the bb5 -- the outside pad adjustment helps in aligning the caliper but more importantly dialing in the feel of the brake.