Thread: BB5 vs v-brakes

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BB5 vs v-brakes

Just out of curiosity because I may be getting some new wheels around mid May and have thought about switching to v-brakes because they are simpler and lighter...

Are there v-brakes that would have comparable stopping power and modulation to the Avid BB5 disks? I would be using them for xc and light all-mountain riding. I do ride in the rain but mostly stick to roads when it is raining because I don't want to eat up the trails that the LBS has to maintain.

Thanks,
    G

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    disc brake will still be better when its wet.

Meh.
    Disc brakes provide more consistent performance in all conditions. Braking won't be affected by an un-true rim. I don't think that a disc brake is any more complex.

If you don't ride very aggressively, then v-brakes might be the ticket for you. The Avids are decent brakes. The Shimano brakes with the parallel push linkage can be good... though are often noisy. I've still got a set of the old XTRs and a set of the newer XTs.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Pretty much any half decent V-brake will be very good when setup properly, which incidentally is much more challenging and short-lasting than setting up the Avids.

In the dry even my old STX-RC Vs used to be just as good as the BB7 but they go soft and squishy within 100 hours of riding and stopping performance and noise is apalling in the wet.

I also found the mechanical disc to be basically maintenance free over 1000s of hours apart from changing pads which my granny could do. With Vs you need to check and true rims, re-allign brake pads, set the toe-in right, clean pad dust from the rims, buy new rims every now and then....you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I would have to agree...

Even a crappy low end, low quality disc brake will perform better in the wet than V's. Though I've owned V brakes that perform better in ideal conditions than some low end discs. But with that said, unless I have no other choice, I'll go with a quality disc brake any time. Like Will said, for all around, all weather performance, and ease of set up and maintenance it's very tough to beat a good disc brake set up. I'd stick with the discs. Cause you never know, that perfect weather at the start of a ride can quickly turn crappy with very little notice.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"