Thread: BB5 Question

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

BB5 Question

I purchased my 08 Rockhopper Disc about 5 months ago and having been riding it 2 - 4 times a week. I have brought it back to the LBS approximately 4 - 5 times because the rotors appear to be out of true. I can hear the rotor hitting the brake pad and making an annoying ticking sound. If I spin the wheel and watch the rotor pass thru the caliper I can definitely see a wobble on the rotor and hear a noise when the rotor his the brake pad.

The last time I was at the LBS for this issue they took the bike for a couple of days to test ride it and adjust the brakes once again. When I picked it up the mechanic told me that he adjusted them the best he could and they are now working great. He also stated that the rotors are within tolerance. But if I continue to have an issue the I will have to upgrade to BB7's.

Now I trust my LBS but is it possible the BB5's cannot be adjusted properly and the BB7's would make a difference?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you are seeing the rotor wobble, then it is not completely true. Better aligning the caliper can minimize rotor rubbing. Getting the BB7s would probably make a difference because it'll come with new rotors that might be more or completely true, but having said that, it is not the caliper that is the problem (if setup correctly) so you could just get new rotors if the rubbing is getting to you.

mtbr member
    You can tweak the rotors slightly at the piont that it makes contact with the pads. I had the same problem with both front and rear rotors on my BB5's. Very slight rubbing. I just noted where they rubbed and bent them CAREFULLY in the opposite direction of the rubing. It doesn't take much! Nice quiet brakes now. The BB7's have a larger pad surface area and are a little more convienient to adjust for pad contact for the outside.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13