Thread: BB5 Question

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

BB5 Question

I have an 08 Rockhopper Disc that has BB5's. I have had the brakes adjusted at least three times. Both the front and rear rotors make rub just a little bit. If I spin either the front or rear wheel I can hear a tick at the spot the rotor rubs. It does not put any drag on the wheels. It drives me nuts but is this normal? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jim

Sounds like your rotor might be a bit out of true, very normal, just needs truing (the rotor that is).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Do what the above poster said. As for taking them in to get setup, no need to do that, setup is very easy. All you need is a torx wrench (for the brake pad), allen wrench and a couple of business cards.

1. Back the pad out all the way
    2. Loosen the the bolts that hold the caliper to the fork/frame
    3. Put a business card on each side of the rotor between the pads and tighten the pad
    down until it's a snug fit.
    4. Tighten the bolts that hold the caliper to the frame/fork.
    5. Loosen the brake pad so you can remove the business cards.
    6. All that's left is to move the brake pad back in. I usually move it in until it scrapes the rotor then just back it out 2-3 clicks.

When I got my GF Kaitai from the bikeshop my brakes were horrible. I was completely disappointed with their performance as my first disc brakes compared to other bikes I had ridden. I had them tuned up a couple of times to no avial. Then I searched the internet, found the above advice and instantly had MUCH better grab. I know you didn't say anything about grab...but if your rotors are true this should help there too as it will give proper spacing.