mtbr member
    Feb 2009

BB5 feature or problem?

I am new to disc brakes and have a quick question. I was working on practicing hill climbs and notice that if I lose my momentum and have to stop mid climb the front brake stays locked even after I release the lever. I was wondering if this was a feature of the brakes or if this was something that needed to be checked out? The front caliper stays locked until I really squeeze the lever and then it will release. Almost like it's an emergency brake feature.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting?
    To the best of my knowledge it is not a feature and I used bb5ís for a season.
    Sounds like something is not releasing properly, I would realign the caliper against the rotor and then adjust pad clearances.
    Make sure the brake lever, cable and brake actuator lever ETC are not binding when put under pressure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks RG32. I'm in the process of looking up the manual on the BB5 so that I can better understand the adjustments. It's a brand new bike that I picked up yesterday and the LBS mechanic went over everything before they let me take it home. So I figured either the problem didn't occur while he was looking at it or it was intended to work that way.

Regardless I'll get it figured out even if it means a return trip to the shop.

EDR
    So I figured either the problem didn't occur while he was looking at it or it was intended to work that way.
    Go see the lbs. No brakes are intended to work the way you described. The cable is binding somewhere or the lever is wacky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Go see the lbs. No brakes are intended to work the way you described. The cable is binding somewhere or the lever is wacky.
    My mind tells me to go back to the LBS. But the mechanic in me says that I can figure this out.

I read through the Avid owners manual and also looked at the Park Tool site. In comparing that information to what I see on my bike I am definately in need of some adjustments. I'm going to tweak it tonight and take it for a ride tomorrow.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Give this a try: stand in front of the bike, clamp on the front brake then, while pressing down for traction, push back on the bike like it is rolling backwards. This simulates you stopping on that hill and trying to stop the bike from rolling back down the hill backwards. Does the brake lock? It could be that you are jamming the pads into the housing in a way that it is locking up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bb5

Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    My mind tells me to go back to the LBS. But the mechanic in me says that I can figure this out.

I read through the Avid owners manual and also looked at the Park Tool site. In comparing that information to what I see on my bike I am definately in need of some adjustments. I'm going to tweak it tonight and take it for a ride tomorrow.

Don't waste your time.....the bike is new.....go to the LBS.....I have BB5's and BB7's on my bikes.......the brakes are not supposed to do that....these brakes have a spring that should separate the calipers forcefully when you release the brake lever....you could have a defective brake on your front wheel........

the brakes also have a separator clip that spreads the pads out when you release the brakes.......

its common to have some disk rub with new brakes.....but not the "locking action" that you are describing....

if you insist on doing it yourself......remove your front wheel and manually active the brake by rotating the arm where the lower cable is attached....if it springs back....then the problem is with your cable housing or your brake lever......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I took a closer look at the front brake and noticed the rotor was so close to the outer pad that I could not even get a piece of paper to slide in between. So I took off the wheel and loosened the adjustment bolts on the caliper. I then remounted the wheel and realigned the caliper to get the correct gap ratio. There was a noticable difference in how effortlessly the wheel would spin. So I tightened everything down and then readjusted the cable.

I'll take it for a ride in the morning and if it's still acting up I'll have it back at the LBS as soon as they open. Thanks all for your replies!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It looks like I was able to resolve the issue on my own by realigning the caliper. I rode for 1.5 hours today and didn't have the issue at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Congratulations..
    Once you get the hang of trouble shooting and your adjusting techniques down it takes the mystery out of them.

Have fun!!!

mtbr member
    hillhold is a feature usually only in manual transmission cars