mtbr member
    Jan 2007

bb5 or deore hydraulic

yeah, another one by me. sorry.
    I would like a low-maintenance, lasting disc brakeset good for trail riding/xc, but powerful enough for those speedy commutes to class amongst mobs of people. Which is better, deore or bb5? would deore hydraulic (525) really be much more maintenance than the mechanical avids? thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    yeah, another one by me. sorry.
    I would like a low-maintenance, lasting disc brakeset good for trail riding/xc, but powerful enough for those speedy commutes to class amongst mobs of people. Which is better, deore or bb5? would deore hydraulic (525) really be much more maintenance than the mechanical avids? thanks
    I have Deore 525s and have a signficant problem with disc rub. It seems that I've tried adjusting the alignement at least every other ride since I had them in December. But the problem may be because my bike is not stock... it's set up with 8" Gothic rotors.

Anyway, I've heard that BB5's don't have good stopping power. In contrast I've heard nothing but raves about the BB7's. In the end, we're talking about a $20 price difference...this is the cost of a set of brake pads. I say go for the BB7s.

29 some of the time...
    I have owned the whole gamut of disc brakes. Honestly I find the deore hydrualic to be the most impressive brake for the budget build. They are simple to setup, require minimal maintenance, work for everything from xc to full dh without overheating, and are easy to find parts for at most lbs. I have run several different setups of the deore hydros over the last couple of years. Only drawback I can think of is that they are a bit heavy.

I sold my bb5 off after a few rides. I wasn't impressed and there is little comparison between cps disc and full hydro once you get used to the hydro's instant ingagement and solid feel. Not saying cps brakes don't work, but IME they do have some drawbacks that the hydros don't.

bump and grind
    I agree with the posts about hte BB5. Less stopping power, pads are harder to find.
    For a 20$ difference the BB7 is world's better.

I also have a Deore hydraulic (525) going steady for almost three years now.... without having to bleed the mineral oil. That's right.... I've never had the need to open it up yet. Its eaten through around six or seven sets of pads but the performance is the same as day one. Pads are everywhere and they're very cheap as well.

Its just a bit trickier to set up so that it wont rub (I had to use some spacers/shims. But after that, its a set and forget component.

The stopping power is more than sufficient. Just a bit grabby, which is not a problem for me really. I turn my bike over regularly and have not needed to rebleed. It runs relatively quiet, unlike some juicy's I've known. After taking off the wheel, I sometimes accidentally squeeze the lever. This would normally require a tedious rebleed for some other brakes, but me I just pry apart the pads and its good to go again.
    Its dirt cheap (Got mine at US$180 for both front and rear, fully built and bled). Its an absolutely reliable budget product.

Go with either the BB7 or the Deore hydros and you wont regret your decision. For me, I'm completely sold on these two brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks alot guys...they're about the same price, but I think I'll go with deore since I've got centerlock hubs just so I won't have to mess around with an adapter for the avid rotor.

mtbr member
    Deore hydros are da shiznit as far as budget brakes go. They're dirt cheap, reliable, powerful enough, and the lever feel is great. I've got a pair. They're 5 years old, and I had to bleed the rear brake once. The front still hasn't been bled. Dosn't need it. I prefer them over my BB7s. Lever feel is much, much better. Power is about even. Deores modulate better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just to let you know there's some Deore Hydros on eBay right now, rears only, for $39 buy it now! I just picked up one for my new wheelset. They're really not that heavy, weight weenies has them listed at 547g including everything...compared to other setups like the Marta SL that are 365ish grams that are sooo much more expensive, that's really not that much more weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just got deore 525 off ebay for the front... my current frame isn't disc compatible without a (particularly) special adapter, so I'll hold off until this summer for the rear. yeah, those 555 rear brakes are a bargain though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have shimano lx hydro on my full susp. and I like them. I'm looking for disk brakes for my monocog and was going to go with avid bb7. I'm surprised to hear that peeps really like the deore 525 hydro, I assumed it would be cheapy. Any thoughts on bb7 vs deore hydro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger
    I have shimano lx hydro on my full susp. and I like them. I'm looking for disk brakes for my monocog and was going to go with avid bb7. I'm surprised to hear that peeps really like the deore 525 hydro, I assumed it would be cheapy. Any thoughts on bb7 vs deore hydro?
    See my first post.

No good in rock gardens..
    I've had two pairs of Deore hydros - both very low maintenance, very strong XC brakes.

Have tried BB5's - not in the same league.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....