mtbr member
    Jul 2011

From BB5 to BB7. Maybe just front?

Hi,

I have 2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29 that came with BB5 which I bought last August. I haven't gone out to ride for 2-3 months now since it's cold out and day is short but I did quick around house ride 2-3 weeks ago. It seems that no matter how I adjust front brake, it doesn't seem to grab and slow down fast enough like it used to until I use rear brake. I know you are supposed to use both brake but front doesn't feel like what it used to be when I rode it last time.

I did wipe rotor, checked pad and even sanded a bit, adjusted tension etc but none of them seem to help. I'm thinking maybe pad is contaminated? Then I was thinking maybe I can swap it to BB7?

The question is since rear is working ok and I can lock it too, would it be ok to just swap front to BB7? Would this create any issue? Also, would I be able to get 185mm instead of 160mm which is the size that came with? Would that be too much? I weigh 175lbs currently.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

mtbr member
    I had bb7's on my FS,love them. Got a SS rigid with bb5's on it. Hate them. Put the bb5's on the back of both bikes and the bb7's on the fronts. works great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Going to BB7 just on the front should not cause any issues. Going from 160 to 185 shouldn't be an issue either, just make sure you get a 185 mounting bracket for the fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Try a 185 up front, I switched to a 185 front (g3 cs) and I love it , way more power.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in the same situation, have to keep adjusting my BB5's at least once a week for decent braking, so I am going to get either BB7 or Juicy 5's/Similar. I heard that you need good cables/housing for BB7's plus speed dial for a bonus. This costs slightly more as I need to pay more for shipping as I'm not in US and its all quite expensive over here. I can get used Juicy 5's for about $150 for both.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    heat up the pads to burn off any stuff that might be contaminating them. skillet, torch, however you think would work best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmmmmmm I was thinking about (if I swap) BB7 front(Maybe back too) and keep BB5 back and get Speed Dial 7 then use existing cables. Can anyone confirm that I need new cable too??

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1 View Post
    I'm in the same situation, have to keep adjusting my BB5's at least once a week for decent braking, so I am going to get either BB7 or Juicy 5's/Similar. I heard that you need good cables/housing for BB7's plus speed dial for a bonus. This costs slightly more as I need to pay more for shipping as I'm not in US and its all quite expensive over here. I can get used Juicy 5's for about $150 for both.

Yup, I saw that trick so I'm going to try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    heat up the pads to burn off any stuff that might be contaminating them. skillet, torch, however you think would work best.

You guys think that 185mm might be too much for 175lbs person? My bike should be little over 30lbs and things I pack in Camelbak including water should be around 10lbs or so. So total should be around 215lbs total.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbMU View Post
    Going to BB7 just on the front should not cause any issues. Going from 160 to 185 shouldn't be an issue either, just make sure you get a 185 mounting bracket for the fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Try a 185 up front, I switched to a 185 front (g3 cs) and I love it , way more power.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    You guys think that 185mm might be too much for 175lbs person? My bike should be little over 30lbs and things I pack in Camelbak including water should be around 10lbs or so. So total should be around 215lbs total.
    Are you doing downhill, or just riding it to work on flat roads, or something in between? 160 is plenty for the riding I do. But it's flat here, and I am a newb rider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    Hmmmmmm I was thinking about (if I swap) BB7 front(Maybe back too) and keep BB5 back and get Speed Dial 7 then use existing cables. Can anyone confirm that I need new cable too??

Yup, I saw that trick so I'm going to try that too.

No you dont need new cables/housing its all the same stuff.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk

westcom
    Jan 2012
    I presently have BB5's with 160's front and rear. Also thinking of going up to BB7's on the front with 180s and leaving the 5's on the rear. I am just a commuter but live on the Oregon coast where everything is up and down. Also wet to really wet all winter. No real problem with my BB5's except for one that goes out of adjustment about every other day @ 10 miles/day. Just put on new organic pads and still adjusting that brake only. Thought it was just worn out pads but doesn't seem to be that. Could the adjuster be backing off? Any fix?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't do DH although I would like to. Not much place to do it here, it's all mixture here. Up, down, gravel, mud, roots, rock etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Are you doing downhill, or just riding it to work on flat roads, or something in between? 160 is plenty for the riding I do. But it's flat here, and I am a newb rider.

Don't try this at home.
    Pricepoint has BB7s for $49.98! I just got mine this week. I upgraded from V brakes.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westcom View Post
    Could the adjuster be backing off? Any fix?
    Maybe a tiny spot of blue loctite on the threads?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmmmmmm 185mm is $7 more which I was thinking and 203mm is just $3 more than 185mm. I assume 203mm is overkill?

mtbr member
    I use the 7/5 setup for my brakes. I chose to go for the 185 rotor for the front to eliminate heat fade issues I experienced earlier at the end of a long downhill with the 160. BB5 for the rear is fine as it doesn't wear quickly and is easily capable of locking the rear wheel.

The 11.5% additional torque the 29" wheel has over the 26" may be what makes your front brake not perform as you would like. The 185 has an additional 15.6% radius over the 160, making it more suited to the larger wheel.

The 185 adapter will come with the brake/rotor assembly. Use the Speed Dial to fine-tune the feel.

westcom
    Jan 2012
    I looked at the BB7's at pricepoint but they come with roundagon rotors. I found bb7's with 180 G2 rotors at Jensen for $54 with free shipping.
    Last edited by westcom; 01-29-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wording

Don't try this at home.
    I looked at the BB7's at pricepoint but they come with roundagon rotors. I would found bb7's with 180 G2 rotors at Jensen for $54 with free shipping.
    Mine are 2011 model with 160mm G2CS rotors. I'm thinkin I should have went 180mm in the front at least. I'm a lotta weight for wee little rotors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use BB5's on my rockhopper along with SD7s, organic pads and G3 rotors. Aside from the adjustment needs, the brakes feel fine for local XC riding that I do with my bike. Remember you can adjust at 4 points: barrel (on the fly), pad adjuster (should be adjusted as needed to compensate for pad wear), cable tension at the lever arm on the caliper, along with the barrel.

At the same time, if you have a good deal for BB7s just get them.

mtbr member
    I looked at the BB7's at pricepoint but they come with roundagon rotors. I would found bb7's with 180 G2 rotors at Jensen for $54 with free shipping.
    Roundagons are horrible!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I'm still deciding(trying to get BB5 performance back) but it looks like I don't have to think about 203mm option as my fork only supports up to 185mm. One less headache.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds like you may have contaminated brake pads up front. Try to burn-off the contaminants first before buying a new set of brakes. If that fails, a new set of pads may do the trick. I recently ran into the same problem with my cousin's bike with BB5s. I was about to junk the entire set since there was hardly any braking power no matter how many times I fiddled with the alignment and SD levers. Luckily, I tried burning the pads on my stove and immediately got a 50% improvement in the braking. I then tried a fresh set of pads and got a 100% improvement! Happy ending. :P