Caution: Freerider
    Mar 2005

BB5 Avid Mechanical installation trouble

First of all, i'm new to Mtbr.com forums.. so hey to you all. i'm only 15 so excuse me if i'm not familiar with technical terms...

I'm upgrading Hayes to mech. avids bb 5s - bought them for $130 total (including shipping). but anyways to the problem... i started installing the front one first since i thought it'd be easier and it's the more important one. I got everything on and it seemed fine except the rotor has a little drag on only one certain part of the rotation. i'm guessing it's because something is bent but i dont know what.
    I know the rotor isnt bent cause it's new and i checked it so it's either my rim or fork. I'm 60% sure it's my fork since 1) i have a 2003 giant iguana disc and the reviews said the fork sucks and bends, 2) mine already bent (i think) and my wheel was crooked and was closer to one side of the fork than the other. so i put a little piece of metal on one side of the fork at the end so it would even out...
    It still could posibly be my rim that's bent... not sure.
    Basically my question is: how do i figure out what's bent??

Again, i'm sorry if i gave you excess information or if i'm not specific with my details (only 15...)

thanks for any help and thanks for taking time to read through my long, boring description!

mtbr member
    it's your rotor, i gaurantee it. even though it's new there's still some imperfections on some rotors, so it's either that or the bolts are unevenly torqued, resulting in some warping of the rotor.

three fixes:

the hard one is to get a torque wrench and retighten all the bolts evenly.

the easy one is to just push on the rotor with your thumb to straighten it out. i would suggest covering your thumb with a paper towel to prevent contaminating the braking surface, but it really doesn't matter that much

and the even easier one is to just back off the brake pad on the inside of the brake a click or two. depending on how you've adjusted it so far this might push the rotor too far over, so then resort to #1 or 2

Caution: Freerider
    Mar 2005

1st fix?

Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    three fixes:

the hard one is to get a torque wrench and retighten all the bolts evenly.

and the even easier one is to just back off the brake pad on the inside of the brake a click or two. depending on how you've adjusted it so far this might push the rotor too far over, so then resort to #1 or 2
    wow i didnt think of that.. thef irst one i mean. yeah they provided me with a torque wrench, but i didnt know how tight it should be (they told but i didnt know how tight it is exactly). is there a way i could accurately tighten it?

and i tried the 3rd way adjusting it with the wrench so when i spin the wheel freely it doesnt drag but then when i hold the brakes, it doesnt stop right away but just drags on it for a little.
    thanks again
    AIM: bsr35802
    Who said more is better? Two wheels are better than four!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Read this:

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

it will put an end to all of your worries