Thread: BB 7 Lever

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

BB 7 Lever

Just picked up a Kona with Avid BB7 brakes. All of the sites detailing set up mention speed dial levers. Mine are not speed dial (no little red knob).
    Just what appear to be set screws locktited to brake lever body.

I do get cable actuation with the slightest lever movement but brakes feel a bit "weak". I have yet to ride the bike and bed in brakes.

Any real need to order the speed dial levers?

I do have brakes adjusted so the disc is off centered toward inboard caliper per instuctions.

FWIW : Im coming from Avid hydraulic so maybe just a different type of feel ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just figured out adjustment at lever with barrel.

Good to go !

cowbell
    Haha, yeah, go bed those brakes in. BB7's when set up correctly are anything but weak. I made a show one time of flipping people out by locking both wheels in a paved parking lot with one finger on each lever (cheap tekro levers at the time) just to prove they weren't weak. Several people were shocked. For what it's worth, I feel like they modulate "well enough" too, even with cheap levers. Then I found a set of SD7 levers at an LBS for $16....my BB7's modulate almost as well as my X0 hydros do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Haha, yeah, go bed those brakes in. BB7's when set up correctly are anything but weak. I made a show one time of flipping people out by locking both wheels in a paved parking lot with one finger on each lever (cheap tekro levers at the time) just to prove they weren't weak. Several people were shocked. For what it's worth, I feel like they modulate "well enough" too, even with cheap levers. Then I found a set of SD7 levers at an LBS for $16....my BB7's modulate almost as well as my X0 hydros do.
    I'm heading out in 30 minutes.

Ft. Campbell. Must have some sweet terrain. Not too hard, not too soft: Just right !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hydraulic is Very comfortable.*********************l/lce6Z[/img]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

BB 7 Lever

They shouldn't be weak, I can endo with one finder ... off course the noise would be deafening!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    honestly, I find the Speed dial levers a waste.. the adjustment only makes them weaker (moving the mount for the cable in causing the lever to have less leverage) they also add unneeded weight. the Avid 5's are a good bit lighter and feel more solid to me...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/