Thread: Bad idea?

mtbr member

Bad idea?

Would it be a bad idea to run 20mm worth of washers or spacers instead of buying a 180mm PM adaptor?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's an idea. Good or bad, it can go either way. Your bolts would need to be long enough to have adequate engagement with the posts. You will also need to experiment to get the proper braking track, vs having it straight away.

Adapters are not stupidly expensive. As long as it is a modern brake with support, it is worth your time to buy the adapter...less fuss that way.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Would it be a bad idea to run 20mm worth of washers or spacers instead of buying a 180mm PM adaptor?
    A really bad idea since you only need 10mm to go from 160mm to 180mm rotors.

I use one piece spacers on a couple of forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Plays with tools
    I could think of dumber things you could do, but it would take a while.

mtbr member
    This will only be for a quick fix. I spent all my allowance this week, lol. I have bolts and spacers to do it, i was just wondering if anyone else did it or has done it. Im going riding tomorrow and REALLY wanna try out my new 180mm rotors.

Plays with tools
    If your using quality bolts it should work for a ride or two. But if your bike is rideable with the parts you have on hand I would run it that way. Wait till you get some more scratch for the correct adaptor. It's not like switching to a 180 rotor is a life changing event.

mtbr member
    My bike has v brakes so it kinda is a life changing event.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    My bike has v brakes so it kinda is a life changing event.
    Are you willing to risk your worthwhile life for it? Brakes need to work end of story.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    wtf---why would you even chance this? NO! this is something you should not do.. there are plenty of places on a mtb where gettting creative is a good thing---brakes arnt one of them..i can just see this now --going into a turn a turn and the washers sliding a bit out of alignment-loss of brakes and off the cliff you go.. go borrow $10 from a buddy and get the adaptor..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, bad idea.

mtbr member
    Where can I find them for $10???? My LBS doesnt have them is stock and I cant find them for that cheap. I need a post to post 180mm adapter.

Will this work? Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    those things are 5-10 euros, should be easy to get them for 10$

https://www.bike-components.de/produ...-Scheibe-.html

mtbr member
    I ordered one, you guys(forums.mtbr) are like my good conscience, always telling me to do the right thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    A really bad idea since you only need 10mm to go from 160mm to 180mm rotors.

I use one piece spacers on a couple of forks.
    How are the one piece spacers working for you.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Avid 180mm PM Adapters

* These won't work with other brands of calipers as they have the CPS/Tri Align washers built into them, they will place a non Avid caliper about 5mm further away from the axle then what a standard 180mm adapter would.

mtbr member
    I dont see why a one peice spacer is a bad idea. I got some larger rotors for my ZX-10R and I had some spacers made to make up the difference, stopping 600lbs from speeds up to 170mph, I think one peice spacers on a mountain bike wouldnt be a problem.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012
    NSFB (ike)

The primary force vector on the caliper while braking is tangent to rotor. Washers will not provide resistance in this direction, so the bolt will be the only thing keeping the caliper from moving northward . The bolt isn't made for that with the kind of leverage it will be under, at that extended length it may shear off or bend/break.

If you do go ahead with this please have a friend film it from close behind!
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    NSFB (ike)

The primary force vector on the caliper while braking is tangent to rotor. Washers will not provide resistance in this direction, so the bolt will be the only thing keeping the caliper from moving northward . The bolt isn't made for that with the kind of leverage it will be under, at that extended length it may shear off or bend/break.

If you do go ahead with this please have a friend film it from close behind!
    Real mature.

So I guess SRAM has no R & D into the ones they have? They look alot like a one peice spacer to me.

If the bolts were made from wood or plastic, they would bend break and shear off. Like I said in my post above...if superbikes that can stop 600+ lbs of weight, from quadrouple the speeds we can attain on mountain bikes AND use some small ONE PEICE spacers to extent the reach of their calipers, than a mountain bike braking system would be fine. Sometimes you guys kill me, thinking a little too hard.

And as far as saying, if I go ahead with this.. .read above, I posted I bought a 180mm adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have been riding with the spacers for a season now with a 180mm rotor on a manitou minute w/ thru axle, not a single issue.
    break that ironhorse, he he...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    How are the one piece spacers working for you.
    Not a single issue. Been in use for 3-4 years. They are aluminum on one bike and steel on the other. Both are thick wall spacers with ~6mm holes. Not simply lightweight tubing. Cut to length and ends squared on a lathe.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

sheep in FOX clothing
    I used an Avid one similar to the photo, except that it had a little aluminum bar connecting the two spacers to make it a one-piece item.

I guess it worked fine and was light, but I did eventually replace it with a NS Billet bolt-on adapter.

The reason was simply because I change wheels and adjust my caliper position fairly often, and if I accidentally mangle some threads, I want it to be a $20 adapter instead of a $300 fork lower.

If you never adjust your caliper and/or you are not a ham-fasted mechanic like me, I see no huge advantages.