7am Backcountry ;- )

Avids broke after standing for a month

Are there any special precautions to observe when leaving a bike sitting for a month or two?

Took the steed out yesterday hoping for a ride, running over some basic checks and noticed the left hand lever (back brake) would only move about 0.5cm towards the handlebar, like the brake pads were already engaged without any pressure.

The wheel at the back is dragging on the pads

I've not had chance to have a closer inspection yet, but its almost like my pistons have pushed themselves out

I hope they arn't goosed already - only 6 months old

Capoz
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Meh.
    Try resetting the pistons.

If you are unable to completely reset the pistons, then it's likely that the system became somehow overfilled. This can be remedied by opening the bleed port on the lever and then resetting the pistons. This will force out any excess fluid. However, I would also inspect the brakes for any signs of leakage... around the lever, fittings, along the line, around the piston, between the caliper halves, etc. I'd also check to make sure that the banjo bolt is tight, the bleed fitting is tight, and the bolts that hold the caliper halves together are tight. And then I would proceed with a full bleed (the DOT fluid may have absorbed moisture from the air causing the fluid volume to increase and also causing the boiling point to decrease).

Oh... also check that your caliper is centered.

If there is a leak, you can go a couple routes... parts for the Avids are easy to find and inexpensive. Or... you can go to your LBS and have them contact SRAM for a warranty. They're very easy to deal with.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Thanks Will top advice

Ive emailed Fisher Outdoor Leisure who are supposed to deal with Sram in the UK for warranty but heard nothing after a couple of days - will try and ring them again.

Will try the above this week too, the moisture sounds like a likely cause as its kept in the cold garage,
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]