mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Avid XX World cup brake problems

How many people out there has had problems with their Avid/ SRAM XX World cup brakes? I'm on my second set, warranted the first front and rear set for instantly going away without warning, resulting in a hard crash and a near miss on the road,told that was a 2011 problem. I got the 2012 models, guess what, lost my rear brake unexpectedly yesterday resulting in another crash. I can't trust these pos brakes anymore, going back to Hope Mini' s, s which I have never had problems with. I heard SRAM has a pile of these brakes that have been returned, no recall on these brakes? I'm a big fan of SRAM, been there since the beginning with them, always stood up and really liked their products, but this ongoing problem is putting me through a test. I'm a first r m believer in disc brakes for road and cross, but you would have to b e insane to use them until they get their shiest together.

Bicycle Addict
    I stopped using mine a while back for the same issues. I stopped using SRAM brakes all together. Bought myself some XTs and I've never been happier. Good luck.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    that never happened to me, but i just replaced mine. they were ok (the 2011 model i think) but they were really tough to bleed and I wanted something a little more stout. went with Hope X2s. Im gaining a bit of weight but for my kind of riding, I dont really care. I dont race or anything.
    Last edited by sooner518; 04-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Used alot of different brands over the years, Magura, Hope, Hayes, etc, that was my first experience with Avids though. I'm going back to Hope, they have never let me down, still have 13 year old sets on a couple of bikes. Don't like to flame SRAM,still think that their drivetrains for both road and mountain are top notch, wish they would go back to the drawing board on their brakes.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    In the words of the late Ralph Nader, *Unsafe, at any Speed*....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"