mtbr dismember

Avid XX World Cup brake pads?

My new bike has Avid XX World Cup brakes. They are great except I seem to be running though pads at an alarming rate, much faster than any other brakes I've ever had. My LBS has been installing Avids, but I do not know which type, if there are different ones. Are there any other pads, Avid or other brands, that might last longer? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't know why, but those brakes spec the organic pads vs metal. I go through those pads pretty quickly also. You could still give the XO pads a try and see what happens. .
    Last edited by Martin6; 01-31-2012 at 07:44 AM.

I'm Slow
    You'll have to use organic pads with the XX. The XX has a magnesium caliper and the metal pads will get too hot for the magnesium. Sadly the organic pads do wear faster, buts that's the price you pay for weight weenie gear.

As far as other brands of pads I have no clue.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Just an FYI:

2012 Avid XX brakes have a new aluminium caliper so you CAN use sintered pads in them.

2009 - 2011 XX calipers are magnesium so organic only in them.

ANY year of XX worldcup is organic only as they use magnesium calipers. Don't fit anything other than organic in the Worldcups otherwise they'll get too hot like mentioned.

mtbr dismember

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    Just an FYI:
    2012 Avid XX brakes have a new aluminium caliper so you CAN use sintered pads in them.
    ANY year of XX worldcup is organic only as they use magnesium calipers. Don't fit anything other than organic in the Worldcups otherwise they'll get too hot like mentioned.
    Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Just an FYI:

This is from the Specialized site: 2012 S-Works Stumpy 29er

FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid XX World Cup R, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, tool-less reach adj., XX magnesium caliper, ti hardware package, S/M: 180mm 2-piece rotor, Others: 200mm rotor

REAR BRAKE Custom Avid XX World Cup R, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, tool-less reach adj., XX magnesium caliper, ti hardware package, S/M: 160mm 2-piece rotor, Others: 180mm rotor

mtbr dismember

Didn't last long

Quote Originally Posted by Martin6 View Post
    This is from the Specialized site: 2012 S-Works Stumpy 29er
    FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid XX World Cup R, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, tool-less reach adj., XX magnesium caliper, ti hardware package, S/M: 180mm 2-piece rotor, Others: 200mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE Custom Avid XX World Cup R, alloy backed semi-metallic pad, tool-less reach adj., XX magnesium caliper, ti hardware package, S/M: 160mm 2-piece rotor, Others: 180mm rotor
    Whatever they were, they didn't last very long.

mtbr member
    I'll check to see which pads I actually have with the XX World Cup brakes.

mtbr dismember

Avid confirms organic pads only

My LBS called Avid and they confirmed you can only use organic pads with the World Cup XX. So I need to try to make mine last longer. How do I accurately determine when it is time to change the pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just an FYI:

Actually, for 2012 Avid also moved to an aluminum caliper for the XX World Cup and can use the metal sintered pads.

If your banjo is on the back side of the caliper than it a 2012 model and can use organic or metal. If the banjo is on the front it is a 2010-2011 model and can only be used with organic pads. This can be confirmed from the 2012 Avid service/spare parts manual.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    My LBS called Avid and they confirmed you can only use organic pads with the World Cup XX. So I need to try to make mine last longer. How do I accurately determine when it is time to change the pads?
    you should confirm by checking the tech guide but usually min 3 mm total thickness pad/backing plate.

mtbr dismember

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by KtKona View Post
    Actually, for 2012 Avid also moved to an aluminum caliper for the XX World Cup and can use the metal sintered pads..
    You are correct! It's on p. 39 of this Avid parts catalog!