mtbr member
    May 2007

Avid XX brakes -yes or no

Starting to gather parts for 29er build.
    I have two choices Avid XX or Formula R1.
    Read few negatives regarding XX and I can't really believe that they are that bad.
    I work on my cars and bikes for ages so bleeding brakes and changing seals is no big deal.
    so, let me hear it guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The 2012 brakes seem to be better than the 2011 brakes and older. I will know more on the 2012 brakes after racing on them this weekend.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    avid brakes are hit or miss. when they work, they work great.....when they dont, SRAM thankfully replaces them (they do A LOT of this.)
    the new Formulas are fantastic though and dont have near the amount of bad units leaving their factory like SRAM does. Why not look at The Ones? they can be had for cheaper then the R1 and offer lighter weight and moar power.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by a2gtinut View Post
    Starting to gather parts for 29er build.
    I have two choices Avid XX or Formula R1.
    Read few negatives regarding XX and I can't really believe that they are that bad.
    I work on my cars and bikes for ages so bleeding brakes and changing seals is no big deal.
    so, let me hear it guys.
    Not that I want to complicate your decision, but if you are considering the R1's, I would also look at Hope's at that price point. I just swapped out some Avid Elixir 5's for an M4/X2 combo and they are spectacular in comparison.

mtbr member
    All of the above brakes are fantastic. I have had no issues with 2011 or 2012 XXs. Really like them.
    R1s are fantastic.
    And personally, I run Hope's. Tech X2, Tech M4 and combo of the two. Mainly like the Hope's for their adjustability, power, modulation and greater availability of parts (Formula has limited part availability in NZ).

Whatever you decide on, they will be great.

mtbr member
    I've owned 3 sets of pre-2012 XX brakes, and they've all been great. Only one out of the 6 needed a bleed out of the box (and still, it wasn't horrible.) I don't like the stock pads, though. I've found Jagwire RedZone Lite pads give much more stopping power, and last longer.

I just installed the new XTR brakes on a new bike, though, and they seem very nice. And these to your list as well.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so it is: pick one - XX WC, R1, Hope X2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Ones over the R1's

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by a2gtinut View Post
    so it is: pick one - XX WC, R1, Hope X2.
    Hope gets my vote. Very solid power, tremendous modulation, the degree of adjustment at the lever (reach and throw), the simplicity of maintenance, customer service, availability of replacement parts . . . nuff' said.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    ridden 'em all

Very specifically, the XX lack power but have excellent modulation. Setup and bleeding is really easy once you get the tricks down, and I rarely spill even a drop of fluid when working on Avids.

Unfortunately for Avid, the XTR trails and Formula One/R1 have both power and modulation and all wrapped up at competitive weights. You see the XX aren't all that bad, it's just that the competition is all that good. We've come so far with brakes and every year the competition gets a little tighter. This year, Avid is definitively on the bottom in my opinion.

And since Hopes keep coming up, I have always had a fondness for them. They're freakin beautiful eh? Love all that machining. The brakes in my garage that I never have to work on all bear the Hope brand. But, the weight/power/modulation combo of the latest Shimano and Formula options eclipse the Hopes, even if they're a hair less reliable. If Hope could get the weight down a bit and bump up the power without sacrificing their legendary modulation, the'll be back on top.

mtbr member
    Hope have apparently reworked the lever/piston assembly to increase power from the lever (ie minimise wastage of power through extra parts getting in the way) for this year. Which should address the power part. Weight - get the Race X2s...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have R1's , XX and XX world cups (2011 for both AVIDS) and I prefer the R1's over AVIDS
    only due to the fact that I've have some sticking plunger issues with the 2011 XX"S (maybe 2012 redesign is better?) but more importantly I like the instant application of brake with lever actuation in the R1 vs a little bit of wasted lever travel (when squeezing lever at first, there is no initial contact with pads even with properly adjusted pad contact (XX) or lever positioning (XX and XX WC)
    Pad clearance issues are about the same for all three sets--Pad clearance adjusters are not available in the original R1 brakes but are not needed based on their design.
    Also, if you're going to be doing lots of downhill brake riding, the formula "the ones" are better
    and are only 30 grams heavier per wheel than the R1's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Having used bb7's , Juicy 7's, Elixir 5 and Elixir CR - My experience has taught me that no is your answer. Try the new Shimano XT or XTR Trail brakes - or Formula The One. These are both excellent brakes. I'm sure you have read all the complaints about Avids on MTB Review. Avids need to be re engineered again from scratch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Between the OP's origianl choices, I would go for the Formulas every time. I would prefere not to have to be tinkering with the brakes before every single ride. All of my avid experience in the last 4-5 years has been aweful. The only Avid's that ever worked out for me were the Avid juicy 5's that came stock on my 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp 130.