mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Avid XX bleed down problem

I recently installed Avid XX brakes on my bike and have been having bleed down problems (no vibration problems). These brakes are very good when working correctly, great modulation, plenty of power, very light and no noise (a miracle for Avid’s). The big problem is that the front brake has bleed down twice now. After laying the bike on its side the lever pulls all the way to the handlebar and you have to pump it up to get it to work. I know this is related to the brake having air in the hose and needing a bleed, but this is the second time in a month I have had to do this. I do a careful job bleeding these brakes and there are no leaks. It is frustrating to pay his much for brakes that do not seem to work correctly. There are two reviews in the brake section for these brakes and one of them notes the very same problem. I am sure everyone is aware of the reviews for Juicy Ultimate’s which also note this problem.
    On the positive side, the rotors with the aluminum carrier are less prone to warping and distorting after a long downhill compared to the all steel G3 rotors. When the G3 rotors warped on my Ultimate’s the result was pad drag and a need to fiddle with the infamous CPS bolts. I do not have that problem with the XX’s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had the same sort of issue with elixir CR's. What I tracked it down to was not tightening the hose compression bolt down tight enough after shortening the hose. There would be a squelching noise which indicated air entering.
    A second possible solution is using the bleed kit slightly differently to instructions. If there is air trapped near the top reservoir which is not getting a chance to escape then use the syringes to push fluid up and down through the system quickly. The quick fluid movement may dislodge the trapped air.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"