mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Avid XO vs Elixer CR....?

Bought 1st new bike since disc brakes had come out and the shop recommended the CR brakes on my Banshee so that's what I went with. Fast forward six months and my son has taken over the bike.

I'm now getting ready to order a Tallboy with the XO package. Where do the XO brakes stack up against the Elixer CR models?

Rub it............
    The Elixer CR's are the same as the X9.

The CR's are advertised at 375g per wheel. The X0's are 333g per wheel.

The X0's have a little bit more technology put into them when comparing them on SRAM's website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for your help....all this crazy technology is amazing but pretty overwhelming!!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    for the sake of not having to create a new thread, I tend to hijack deadthreads
    so,
    I'm wonder what the best Avid hydraulic set would be. I've already got the full X0 drivetrain package so I'm wondering about the X0 brakes because:
    hey, it'd be cool to just match it to the X0 shifters/drivetrain that I've already got. However, I'm not all that fond of the carbon fiber lever blade that is on the X0 as it seems that numerous people have broken them. I wonder if the CF will break as easily as standard aluminum ones as I'm not really certain. Regardless, I was hoping to have some brakes that work with Straitline lever blades. That or a brake set with similar lever blades, as my Elixir 3 lever blades are a bit of a forearm pain.
    I'm not totally sold on Avid, but a lot of things Sram have worked with me so far. I am aware that Shimano, Hope, Hayes, and plenty of other companies are also great and that it seems to come down to opinion.

X0 would be great, especially if they can brake in technical runs. I'm not looking for complete XC brakes, if I was I'd go for XX as I hear they are kind of weak, especially for the price. I do a lot of all mountain "earn your turn" riding and when I'm coming down the hill I really need brakes that will last and can heat up without losing power. I'm also going to go to the local bike park when it is built, so yeah I plan on getting these burning hot a good bit.
    any help appreciated, thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    good luck keeping the avids working .I got a month out of a front xx before the pistons began to stick. Month and a half and now one of the rears is starting to stick. Shimano or magura or formula

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm considering Shimano's Saint M810s because they're the only quality breaks that I can seem to find that most of the people who own them love them. I've heard a lot about Formula being a pain to rebleed and Magura isn't really being considered because I can get a hefty discount on Avid, Formula, and Shimano... but not Magura (unfortunately)
    An appealing factor of the M810s is the adjustable lever blade, but I hear that there is a common wobble gobble of the pads on the rotor, so that isn't too exciting. It really is hard to find which ones are right. I have heard some good things about Avid Elixir 7s too, but still unsure at large