Thread: Avid XO vs CR's

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Avid XO vs CR's

Im looking to get new brakes and i want the XO brake kit, but i noticed a lot of guys have CR's also. I was wondering why besides being a little cheaper. Are they stronger? It will be going on my sworks enduro. I like to climb but i do like to fly downhill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have had Elixir CR Carbons and Elixir R SL and hated both of them. Look at Maguras new stuff, if you have the cash get some MT-8's or Mt-7's, I have heard nothing but good things but their spendy

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Have run Avids for years,they work fine once you understand the setup quirks. I now believe Avids suffer from being mass production OEM brakes, standard on many pre- built bikes from the major brands. Recently I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance, quality & ease of setup with other brands like Formula, Magura & Hope. I'm suggesting to consider these other manufacturers, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmithr1 View Post
    Im looking to get new brakes and i want the XO brake kit, but i noticed a lot of guys have CR's also. I was wondering why besides being a little cheaper. Are they stronger? It will be going on my sworks enduro. I like to climb but i do like to fly downhill.
    I like the X0 brakes a little better. They are lighter than the CRs and stop just as well and maybe a little better. The only thing I like better about the CRs is they have the easy adjustable lever reach. The X0s take a hex wrench to adjust the lever reach which isn't a huge deal. Go X0.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Suggest you test ride the new XTR trails. The best brakes I have ever used at any price. Make sure you get the ICE-tech pads and rotors.