mtbr member

Avid XO or dying cat?

brakes - YouTube

No really, what is wrong with my brakes?

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Unbelievable, but true Story - Avid Brake Turkey Warble
    If you've already tried the "standard" stuff, see if this doesn't work.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

Never Forget 9-11
    I switched from stock pads to organics. When I replaced the pads I sanded the rotor and then went through the bed in process for the new pads and they have been quiet and stop great since. Recently while waiting on a new set of pads to come in I had to put the originals back in for a few rides. Noise immediately returned.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terf! View Post
    what is wrong with my brakes?
    they are made by avid

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    deleted
    Last edited by bulerias; 12-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    As I read somewhere, this topic has been covered to the point where the horse is just a pile of guts, blood and hair.
    If you have tried all the "fixes" a Google search presented to you, then its time for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    they are made by avid
    +1

best and most honest post I have read today!

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Avid has certainly taken a beating in the court of MTBR opinion recently. I think a lot of it is "The Queen is dead, long live the queen!" The hot new thing gains favor and anything else is complete crap.

To be fair, I've run Avid brakes on a DH bike for 6 years, and on a trail bike for 8. The squeal is annoying but when properly maintained the brakes are good. Other brakes are good too, but if you already have a set of Avids, address the squeal and carry on. Brakes are a really expensive component to simply swap out. You don't need to jump ship.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

29er
    Apr 2010
    i beg to differ
    my juicys had no power, poor lever feel, lots of lever travel, made noise, and a bad lever shape
    never again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Unbelievable, but true Story - Avid Brake Turkey Warble
    If you've already tried the "standard" stuff, see if this doesn't work.
    I thought the solution to the Avid brake problems was well sorted out in that thread:

1: remove the Avid brakes
    2: throw them in the trash where they belong
    3: get something else
    problem solved

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    OP has not indicated of he tried the standard stuff.
    Off the top of my head:
    Align caliper. Tighten all bolts. Clean rotor with CLEAN rag or paper towel and rubbing isopropyl alcohol. Check hub and QR tightness.
    Didn't work? Get out the big guns.
    Sand the pads and rotors. Tape all the hoses and housing to frame.
    Still nothing?
    Change out pads for organic.
    STILL NOTHING?!
    change rotors.
    If at this point, you are still experiencing squeal, new Shimanos for Xmas.
    EDIT: You won't be at a total loss if you have to buy the Shimanos. Those are sold without rotors, so you can keep the new rotor.
    It is up to you and your morals if you want to sell the Avids.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 12-13-2012 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    odd..

banned
    Sep 2012
    Eeep... double post

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    To be fair, I've run Avid brakes on a DH bike for 6 years, and on a trail bike for 8. The squeal is annoying but when properly maintained the brakes are good. Other brakes are good too, but if you already have a set of Avids, address the squeal and carry on. Brakes are a really expensive component to simply swap out. You don't need to jump ship.
    Therein lies the problem. The nearly constant maintenance gets old pretty quick. I was pretty happy with my Juicy Ultimate Carbons but the almost daily servicing (I try to ride daily) just to eliminate simple rotor drag and its associated noise grew old pretty quick.

I've just upgraded to Shimano Saint M810 (the previous gen Saint) and even with the old avid rotors, it is problem and noise free.

-S

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just binned 6 month old xo brakes, they are crap. Replaced them with xtr trail brakes and have not had to even think about brakes again.

mtbr member
    Don't see any input here on the dying cat option, so thought I'd chime in.

They work fine for the first few runs, but lose effectiveness as the fur wears.

Tool
    I have 4k miles on a set of 2010 XO brakes. They only time they vibrate or make noise is if there is a piston sticking. I happen to deserve sitcking pistons because I have neglected to ever change the fluid which should be done once per year, especially when you ride 2k dirt miles per year.

One of the big differences between Avid and Shimano brakes is the use of DOT fluid vs. mineral oil. DOT fluid is very hydrophilic, whereas mineral oil is hydrophobic. The ineveitable water contamination of the DOT fluid cannot be easy on tiny, lightweight piston seals, and thus could potentially cause more sticky piston issues than mineral oil.

The other characteristic of Avids is their CPS washers, which allow the caliper freedom in both horizontal and vertical planes. If the caliper is not aligned in BOTH planes, the brake will likely make noise and/or objectionable vibration. Because of the washer design, wrench torque can easily outgun the rotor's stiffness, leading to misalignment in the vertical.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would strongly recommend not wasting your time and put the X0's up for sale and buy from another brand. I've now sold on a total of 3 sets of Elixirs that were fitted to me and my girls bikes. It wasn't just the noise that put me off it was the poor stopping power and the terrible feel of the levers. I was going to change to another brand because of that alone so the common Avid noises just made me do it a loot sooner.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Tie cat to bike frame; ride with cat in arms; toss cat when u wanna stop

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ordered XTs to replace the elixir 5s that came on my $4K bike. Only the front XTs came, I put them on and their stopping power and modulation is much better than the elixirs. They are also totally silent (although to be fair I got my elixirs to be quiet.).

Also my rear elixir brake which I bled twice is actually working pretty well now.