mtbr member

Avid X0 vs. Formula R1 - What should I buy??

I have a 2009 GT Marathon Elite (i-drive) XC bike that I am upgrading the calipers on.

These are the links:

Avid - Avid Elixir X0 Disc Brake 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Formula R1 - Formula R1s Disc Brake Set 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I done my reading up and i am swinging between these two, I am more swung by the negatives than the positives (cause they both have been known to work well).

The formulas people complain about lack of pad clearance but the review says set up correctly wont be an issue. People also say they are noisy, noisy noisy, the review says they are quiet except when wet.

The Avids has an array of negative report, mainly people saying they are weak and hard to bleed, again the reviews seems to love them thoroughly.

Any help navigating through this mine field of contradiction?

mtbr member

Avid X0 vs. Formula R1 - What should I buy??

I have had Formula R1 on three bikes. When I got my current bike, it had X9 brakes. I didn't like the X9, so I gave the Magura MT8 a try....I am now back to R1. Light and powerful. I love the feel, as well. You may notice less modulation with the R1, but they have great power. I ended up going from a 180mm rotor to a 160mm when I installed the R1. As far as pad clearance, that hasn't been an issue for me.

I have also considered hope and shimano.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a set of R1s and like them but the pad clearance is tight so it takes a little more time to get setup. Formulas bleed and setup instruction when followed work good and takes care of those issues. Formula also wants you to bleed and do this setup about once a year. It takes dot 4 donex fluid which is expensive but they have it. They are a little noisy but not too bad unless contaminated. The R1s are strong and have good feel. And they are very light. I also have shimano XTs with ICE rotors. These brakes are great! Quite, very strong and no hassle maintance and setup. They are stronger then the Formulas by a little and have great modulation and over all feel. The price is great but they are a little heavier and not as sexy as the Formula's are. I haven't owned the Avids can't commiton them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My formula Rx brakes have been excellent. No issues with pad clearance(pre 2013 model)

powerful, awesome modulation.

My next set will be formula's for sure.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    neither/

Rub it............
    I've ridden both and prefer the X0's over the Formulas.

That being said, I prefer Shimano's over everything else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Avid X0 vs. Formula R1 - What should I buy??

Neither....get shimano. Anything really deore,slx , xt. Can't go wrong with any of them

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Neither, get a set of Hopes. Much better brake than both the Formula or Avid
    You set them and forget them.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Avid X0 vs. Formula R1 - What should I buy??

I have r1's and the one's. On both, i have found you can't use the typical 'grip brake, then tighten bolts' approach, because they usually have a slight bias towards one side and will drag.

So, after reading up in this, you need to use something to take up space on the dragging side. You want to grip brake, tighten, find the side that's dragging, loosen the bolts, stick a piece of business card in between the pad and the rotor on the dragging side to nudge it over a little, then grip brake, and tighten.

Once i figured that out, never had problems with them again. R1's are super strong, light, don't fade, and yes they make a little noise but definitely less than my buddies who ride avid's.

Hope that helps.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jado View Post
    I have a 2009 GT Marathon Elite (i-drive) XC bike that I am upgrading the calipers on.

These are the links:

Avid - Avid Elixir X0 Disc Brake 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Formula R1 - Formula R1s Disc Brake Set 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I done my reading up and i am swinging between these two, I am more swung by the negatives than the positives (cause they both have been known to work well).

The formulas people complain about lack of pad clearance but the review says set up correctly wont be an issue. People also say they are noisy, noisy noisy, the review says they are quiet except when wet.

The Avids has an array of negative report, mainly people saying they are weak and hard to bleed, again the reviews seems to love them thoroughly.

Any help navigating through this mine field of contradiction?
    The 2013 R1 have an improved pad clearance. Other rotors besides the Formula R1 rotors will make them quiet. The Formula Oro or Avid HSX or HS1 rotor are dead quiet.

I've never met an SRAM/Avid brake I liked.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    The 2013 R1 have an improved pad clearance. Other rotors besides the Formula R1 rotors will make them quiet. The Formula Oro or Avid HSX or HS1 rotor are dead quiet.

I've never met an SRAM/Avid brake I liked.
    I had R1's and this was incredibly annoying. Switched to XTR's. If this is true, I'd definitely say go for the R1's. Would be great breaks without that annoying issue!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tweasol View Post
    I had R1's and this was incredibly annoying. Switched to XTR's. If this is true, I'd definitely say go for the R1's. Would be great breaks without that annoying issue!
    I have seen the 2013 R1 pad clearance improvment on an old vs new picture a "birdie" showed me.

Now, oddly enough, the R1 caliper clearance is what the RX has been for a few yrs. I have a 2011 and 2012 RX and it's more than the R1s that I have seen (pre 2013)

What this exact cause of the noise is for the R1 rotor I cannot say for sure. It's a stupid lite rotor for $30-40 though. I have read the 2 piece R1 rotor does not have the noise. I cannot confirm this on an R1 or RX, but when I had a 2 piece R1 rotor on my Formula Oro K18s, they were dead quiet.

The rotors that are quiet on my RX brakes (should be the same as R1) are the Formula Oro, Magura SL drilled, Avid HS1, Avid HSX. All of these were the organic pads.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.