mtbr member

Avid X0 Trail - Contact Point

I've got a set of X0 Trail brakes, and am relatively happy with them. They're very much on par with the XT's (rode them on my last bike), but with the Avid feel. No fade, turkey gobble, or squeal to speak of.

My issue is the contact point - it seems to be closer and closer my grip as I bed and wear them in a bit, and that's with the "Contact Point Adjustment" dial all the way out. I can sort of fix the issue by adjusting the reach of the levers, and it puts the contact point in a more comfortable spot, but the reach is a bit too far.

I've rid the system of air and did a full bleed according to Avid's specifications, and still wind up too close to the grip. Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kragu; 07-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    It's an interesting question. I've seen Avid brakes with too much fluid in them, where you literally have to open the bleed screw and let fluid out to allow the wheel to turn at all. I sort of wonder how they do that. Maybe the do a bleed without the lever pulled all the way to the bar? Maybe if a mechanic that knows a little more about brakes than I do (not saying I'm a mechanic here.....) could chime in on how Avid manages that, you could apply that technique to some happy medium between where you are now, and the point where the pads won't retract far enough to let the wheel spin.

Trail Ninja
    Clean and lube the pistons. Maybe they are sticky and aren't "auto centering".

Trail Ninja
    I had 1 set of Elixir CRs overbled from factory. I believe they get overfilled if the pistons aren't fully pushed in and and the contact bite adjustment isn't screwed all the way in (not the way the arrow is pointing for in, but screwed all the way in clockwise). As long as the internals aren't under constant pressure, I doubt putting in slightly more fluid would hurt. If it starts leaking, you're probably gonna have to replace the seals. They sell seal kits for the levers, I believe.

mtbr member

Avid X0 Trail - Contact Point

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Clean and lube the pistons. Maybe they are sticky and aren't "auto centering".
    Unlikely since they only have like 50 miles on them, but I'll try it. What to lube with?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i had the exact same problem with my elixir cr's, there is an excellent thread here somewhere. Long story short, basically what it suggested was to unscrew the bite adjuster before bleeding, opposite of avid's recommendations. I believe Avid actually updated their recommendations to reflect this. This allows more fluid in the system which allows for more lever adjustment. Just be sure that when you're done, check to be sure your pads don't rub when done, if so, let out a small amount of fluid. This was the only route that gave me an acceptable lever feel, they are fantastic now. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    found it, the thread is titled "Avid Elixir Brake Bleed-solid feel but no adjustment left",it's on the first page of the brake time forum, it will explain the procedure in great detail, good stuff

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Unlikely since they only have like 50 miles on them, but I'll try it. What to lube with?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Clean with isopropyl alcohol and lube with brake fluid (DOT 5.1 or DOT 4 in this case).

Shouldn't be surprised, even if they only have 50 miles on it. It's typically not mileage that leads to such a condition, but rather sitting around unused and neglected.

Explanation of how most bike hyd disc brakes work: below is what a typical piston looks like and the seal that it rests on. The outer circumference is what you should be cleaning and lubing. The way it works is, the "square" seal is fixed into the caliper and the piston "floats" on it. Pressure pushes the piston into the pads and the seal flexes outward. When pressure is backed off, the seal flexes back to its resting state, retracting the piston with it. The seal flexes only so much, so when the brake pads wear down, there's a point where the piston slides further out when the seal no longer flexes, which is basically how the pistons auto-center.

For illustration on how to perform the maintenance, this might help. Even though it's for a competing brand's brake, it's basically the same procedure, except you would use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...0Procedure.pdf

mtbr member
    Thanks, lolaralph and V. Gonna try the method in that thread. Won't hurt to clean the pistons, though they definitely haven't been neglected...