mtbr member

Avid Wavy vs Clean Sweep Rotors

Thinking of buying avid juicy 7. one review said wavy rotors to be loud and pulse under braking. looks like most come shipped with wavy. has anybody had experience with wavy vs smooth rotors. also anyone know where to buy avid juicy 7 with smooth rotors if they are deemed better. jensonusa has the rotos sold separately!

mtbr member
    Well, the first thing to know is that Avid discontinued the "wavey" rotors they first offered. Rumors were that Galfer jumped on them for an infringement issue, plus the darn things howled and pulsed like crazy. Since later last year, Avid has shipped the Juicys with the "serpentine, wavy-style" rotors. Those rotors have had varied reviews, including by me: I had the most horrible brake howl imaginable, so Avid sent my the old, round rotors to replace them. I'd beveled all the leading edges per some advice here, and tuned and cleaned them to no avail.

Before I got around to swapping them on, I went to Mammoth and rode 3 days of heavy braking. The first run was typical to the Juicys: great braking, but hideous howling after they warmed up. Then they got actually HOT, and suddenly stopped the howling after the rotors blued in and smoked a little. Now, they still have a sound I attribute to the semi-wavy design, but rarely squeek and don't pulse.