mtbr member
    Sep 2005

avid wavy rotor 160mm rusty

Hi...

My 3 week old avid wavy rotor 160mm is starting to get rust on the stems. What is the deal? Bad construction, or what? I'm planning on sending in for warrenty. Just a heads up to anyone looking to get the new wavy rotors. I had tektro io for like 2 years without any probs...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by eanzenberg
    Hi...

My 3 week old avid wavy rotor 160mm is starting to get rust on the stems. What is the deal? Bad construction, or what? I'm planning on sending in for warrenty. Just a heads up to anyone looking to get the new wavy rotors. I had tektro io for like 2 years without any probs...
    Rotors are made of steel, steel rusts. Not really a big deal. If there's rust on the braking surface, it'll just get worn off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    no it's a big deal because my cheaper brakes never had rust on them for 2 years, and I rode them through worse **** than these. It'd defective quality, and I wouldn't ride on rusty brakes.

Meh.
    no it's a big deal because my cheaper brakes never had rust on them for 2 years, and I rode them through worse **** than these. It'd defective quality, and I wouldn't ride on rusty brakes.
    I honestly think you're overreacting. Go look at the rotors on cars. Most nearly all of them will have some form of corrosion on them. Rotors are made of steel, and steel rusts. Deal with it. Rotors aren't that expensive, buy a new one if you must. Or hell, just polish it up with some steel wool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Talked to avid warrenty. Seems like their new generation rotors are not using stainless steel but some other alloy that rusts. Seems like a lot of ******** to me seeing as how thin these rotors are (compared to a car...) and how mountain biking can get wet really easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Spray them down with WD-40, this way they won't rust...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yes that's real good...except for the fact that it'll contaminate the rotor and void any warrenty I might have.

No, I'll just make sure to get stainless steel next time. I recommend everyone here does the same.

mtbr member
    No, I'll just make sure to get stainless steel next time. I recommend everyone here does the same.
    Why? There is nothing wrong with surface rust on rotors. They will not disintegrate or fall apart and I think it makes them more rustic: a much better
    look.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Would you want to buy my avid 160mm wavy rotor then? Used for 3 weeks...

mtbr member
    Would you want to buy my avid 160mm wavy rotor then? Used for 3 weeks...
    No thanks; I prefer my rusty 203mm rotors.

Wombat

Meh.
    yes that's real good...except for the fact that it'll contaminate the rotor and void any warrenty I might have.

It's sarcasm...