Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

Avid vs. Tektro's

I just got a 2009 cannondale F8. It came with tektro disc's stock. My dad got the f7 with the bb-5's and they grab way better.

I was thinking the first upgrade I should do is my brakes.

Should I just keep my tektro's and adjust them or get BB-5's or BB-7's
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    definately upgrade. If you are going with cable actuated disks then get the BB7's. Pricepoint.com has the older models on a huge sell and the BB7's are only $5 more per brake ($40 each). For $80 total you could have a much more powerful and more adjustable brake...that is a huge upgrade for the money. Here is the link...
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Pa.../Disc-True.htm

This lists it is for the rear but really it will work for both the rear and the front.

Former Bike Wrench
    BB7's...not even a comparison. No other mechanical (including the BB5) even comes close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    BB sev's. ... with some Avid speed dial brake levers.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I just upgraded to BB7s (185mm) from Tektros (160mm) on the front of my GT Peace 9r.

There was an immediate improvement and I finally feel like I can stop. Quickly. I also went ahead and chucked the stock Tektro brake levers and installed the Avid Speed Dial 7s. Love 'em.

Total cost for front BB7s and a pair of Speed Dials was less than $65.

Do it.

The Beast Breathes
    The Tektros aren't bad, but the Avid BB7's are a HUGE improvement. Go for it, and quickly.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

bi-winning
    Avid BB7 is much better, though the Tektros are not terrible if broken in, and set up well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    save up and go hydro!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my rockhopper 29er came with hydro tecktros stock.....always had the warbling problem with them. I recently upgraded to a set of juicy 5's and they dont' warble, so I put the old tecktros on my rigid/ss bike and they don't warble anymore...weird but I'm a happy camper. IMO both stop just as well, the tecktros were just a bit bulkier and heavier.