TNC
    noMAD man

Avid vibration--new rotor?

I've been gone a few weeks on a dirt motor trip out west, so I may have missed this. Scanning back a bit since last on this board, nothing caught my eye. We've discussed this a lot over time, but I heard something interesting this week. Our Specialized rep was in the store this week, and we've talked about the Avid vibration in the past. He asked me if I've heard what Avid was doing with Specialized about this. He said that Specialized owners with vibrating Avid brakes are being sent a new rotor. The rep didn't have one with him but said it looked more like a polygon/roundwagon style rather that the G series. I don't know how true all this is, but that's what was stated. I have't seen this replacement rotor, and that's about all I know on the issue. Has anyone else heard this? I fixed the vibration on one of my calipers with a pad/compound change, but it would be interesting to know if anyone has experienced this rotor change deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Think this could be it,

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/DSC06255.jpg

From the brake warble page.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Think this could be it,

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2/DSC06255.jpg

From the brake warble page.
    OK, found that one in the big "turkey gobble" megathread. I notice the guy posting it, however, comes back later and says it didn't stop his vibration. Hmmmm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What pads did you switch to to stop your vibration?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly29
    What pads did you switch to to stop your vibration?
    Jagwire semi-metallic with alloy backs. It worked for me on an '08 SJ FSR with Juicy 5's and a rear Elixir R on my Nomad. It's funny how this vibration deal has to be a very small resonance deal, but it is very annoying if you can't get it under control. I noticed over on the megathread, that some even eliminated the vibration with the rube goldberg-like application of some lead fishing weights. While that sounds funny, it just points out how subtle an issue it is, and how sublte the possible solution can be. I'm not saying the results of an annoying vibration going right up the poop shute is subtle...just that it must be some small and almost insignificant resonance issue. Avid should be doing a better job finding a solution. One would think the new rotor would have solved it, but maybe not. On the other hand, that was only one response I saw concerning this replacement rotor, and it will be interesting to see more input from others using this replacement rotor.